Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What Is In The Big Box?  A Damascus Electric >

What Is In The Big Box? A Damascus Electric

What Is In The Big Box? A Damascus Electric

Old 01-27-2012, 08:18 PM

OK Jacquie and Janice. Now that I am sure that the Damascus was made by National, where would I look for the part and info on converting her to a hand crank? If she were a Singer it would be easy. I am up for the challenge!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:57 PM

She sure is pretty. I've never seen a light like that before. Congrats on a great find!
Old 01-28-2012, 02:15 AM
Power Poster

How cute! Nice decals and foot petal.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:45 AM

I buy my hand cranks, belts etc. here. I love their hand cranks as they look like the old ones and the belts are fantastic. ,
Not affiliated, just like to pass on good dealers when I find them.

http://shop.sew-classic.com/Hand-Crank-Treadle_c31.htm
Old 01-28-2012, 06:36 AM

I researching my Damascus. I did find a few images on the Internet that look exactly like her. One was a Graybar 2A and another was a Volo. The Graybar 2A has the same light on the front of the machine like the Damascus. The TIAS website has a copy of the Graybar 2A manual for $10.00 that I am going to purchase. Having the manual should help me figure out how to make her run, thread, etc. I did read on one Internet post that the light must be on to enable the machine to run. Interesting. I don't know if a Singer hand crank will fit the Damascus at this point. Further research indicates that a larger hand wheel would be necessary for a hand crank conversion. I think I will order a hand crank from Sew Classic anyway. If it won't work on the Damascus I have other candidates for conversion.
BTW, I did name her Dolly.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:19 PM

Jljack talks about hand cranks in the http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ell-t43881.htm thread on page 747 post number 29846. I can't remember if he mentions a vendor for the parts.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
She is beautiful, decals are pristine and she is heavy, heavy.The coffin top was damaged on the top from shipping, I wish people would try to remove the thread spool before shipping. And the veneer is peeling on one side. She came with the "foot" pedal and the original wiring looks pretty good for her age. But I don't know if she runs yet. I did hook the pedal up to the machine but got nothing. I guess I will do a little exploratory antique wiring troubleshooting. I can't find much on the Internet regarding who she was manufactured by and how old she is.
there were 2 badged Nationals with those decals. the Damascus Electric and the Western Electric.