Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Deb Tucker square in a square >

Deb Tucker square in a square

Deb Tucker square in a square

Old 04-02-2018, 05:29 PM

Default Deb Tucker square in a square

I recently bought (for $90!) Deb Tuckers square in a square ruler to make a snail's trail pattern. The 1st round is ok but every succeeding round get more out of line with the markings on the ruler. I'm very careful & I've looked at the youtube tutorials. No help. Does anyone else have this problem with this specific ruler or with other products?
Old 04-02-2018, 06:53 PM

Can you post a picture of your block, preferably under the ruler so we can see what is happening?
Old 04-02-2018, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

My first thought would be that your seams are wider/narrower than the actual 1/4" intended.
Just a hair width's difference, and it would throw things off ab it more, every round.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:47 AM

I watched a video from Deb Tucker this morning on the Square in a Square ruler and thought maybe I should have one of those. $90 really?? OUCH. I have a couple of her other rulers and didn't pay more than maybe $28 for them each. Why is this one $90??
Old 04-03-2018, 03:56 AM

First, welcome to the board I am sure others with far more expertise will be able to help, but as suggested a photo of the block is always most helpful.
90.00 for her ruler? I hope it also came with a book and other rulers, if not I say you got taken, and while I’m all for supporting local shops, I think if you paid 90.00 for just the ruler, ouch! Even on her own site, her rulers are not that expensive!
Deb Tucker’s rulers are all about oversizing and cutting down, so if something is not lining up then there is a issue.
Say you want to make a 8 inch finished block (a finished block size is the size of the block once it’s sewn into the quilt). You will then look at Part A (left side of ruler)on your ruler and cut a square that is 5.25 inches, and then cut that once on the diagonal. Then you will find your finished size on the ruler and it will tell you what size strip to cut for your center square.
If your wanting to make a snails trail block, then I’m not sure that this ruler is designed for multiple rounds that is needed. There is a creative grids ruler (certainly not 90.00) that is also a square in square and allows for multiple rounds as needed for the snails trail block. We have lots of math gurus on this board, and so I’m sure if you posted your desired finished size, someone will be able to give you much better directions than I.
https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Grid...70_&dpSrc=srch
Old 04-03-2018, 04:12 AM

I just checked out the Studio 180 Design shop for the square in a square ruler you talked about. On Deb Tuckers web site the large one is under $50 and the small one under $30. Where did you order from? You certainly got ripped off if you paid $90....or did you order both rulers and pay shipping? That might make the $90.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:01 AM

I also wanted to add, I think every quilter should have this, it gives tons of information from setting triangles, binding, most basic block construction and everything in between. It’s my go to when I have questions or need to refresh my memory.
https://www.amazon.com/All-One-Quilt...40_&dpSrc=srch
Old 04-03-2018, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

Tallchick- that looks like a great resource and HH is an amazing quilter/teacher.

I recently made a Shakespeare in the Park quilt and some of my blocks were snail's trail, but I used a regular ruler and didn't have any problems. I have some Deb Tucker rulers but not that one.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

I also own several of her rulers but unfortunately they are still in the bag. Blush... As some one else mentioned, her technique oversizes and cuts down for accuracy. I bought the rulers directly from her at a show. She seems approachable. Have you tried contacting her? Best wishes and I hope you are able to solve the problem.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:26 AM

Look forward to seeing a picture.