Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much is too much >

How much is too much

How much is too much

Old 04-08-2018, 02:21 PM

Default How much is too much

Feel like I am spending way to much time sewing. Spent about 5 hours each on Saturday and Sunday putting together a quilt for my granddaughter and a friends son. It is not getting in the way of anything important.
Did not watch any TV or spend any time on my phone or computer, so maybe it was not Too much time SoHow much time do you spend sewing/quilting

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-08-2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-08-2018, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

I spend as much time as possible and feel that it's never enough time. But if it feels that way to you maybe it is. We're all in different circumstances.
I'd say I spend 5 or more hours several days a week in my sewing room.
We just got 2 new kittens and they are taking up my time more than usual but they are so worth it!! No complaints
Old 04-08-2018, 02:36 PM

One of the ways I judge is by how my body feels. If I sit too long then I start to seize up, and if I don't walk each day then my legs ache. If you look at a day a lot of people will sit down after dinner and just watch TV. If you go to bed at 10 and ate dinner at 5 then you spent 5 hours watching television. So, I would say you are being productive instead of just sitting there. Are you enjoying yourself?

My time varies a lot depending on what else is happening in my life and I work in bits. My machine stays set up most of the time and I might sit down for just 10 minutes sometimes between other jobs or I might sew for an hour. Each day is different and I have never added up how much time I sew. I had a deadline a month ago and did do a lot more to reach it in time.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:44 PM

ha ha!! I spent a lot of time this weekend and I could still spend more time Sunday's not over yet. I have a boring job that I have to go to Monday thru Friday so the weekends are when I really do the most sewing.

I think as long as you are not ignoring responsibilities I think its up to you how much time you spend. My kids are out of the house now so I spend more time sewing now than I did a few years ago

If you are enjoying yourself - just enjoy
Old 04-08-2018, 05:15 PM

For me it depends on the project and my motivation. I spent about 5-6 hrs yesterday and another 7 hrs today working on a single (king size; paper pieced) quilt. Because I'm used to spending large chunks of time sewing, it's hard for me to spend a mere 10-15 min. at a clip working on a machine piecing project. I can do that with hand quilting but not machine piecing.

After a few weeks and only a few chuncks of the above type available time, I'm only 15 blocks into a 72 block quilt! Wowzer!

If you've made that amount of progress in that short period of time...kudos to you!
Old 04-08-2018, 05:44 PM

Hi Mimi,

I go through periods of time that I can spend 27 hours a day (I know there are only 24 hours in a day) and still want more time to sew. Then there are times I don't go near my sewing room for months at a time - no mojo.

Currently I am in an active mode. Made one charity quilt top, have another sewn into strips and ready to be sewn together. Cut templates and organized the fabric for a to-be made quilt. Cut out another round of blocks for a 1930's top I am working on. Organized hundreds of 5" I-Spy squares for my charity quilts and went to a quilt guild board meeting so I got no sewing done. I only sew in the afternoons from noon until about 5:30 pm. So basically, I've done what I consider a lot of quilting/quilt related things in 2 1/2 days (I don't quilt on weekends or in the evening because I spend the time with my husband who works all week). I am a late riser (I go back to bed after sending husband off to work at 6 am) and in the mornings I tend to work on my computer, do the household chores (is there no end to the laundry????), pay bills, etc. That leaves my afternoons to sew.

Too much or not enough time is in the eye of the beholder. If you are not comfortable with how much time you are spending, cut down. No one will say anything to you if you do - only you can judge for yourself what you are comfortable doing. Remember...there is no such thing as "quilt police".

When you stop enjoying what you are doing, it's time to put it away and take a break! Take care and know that your granddaughter and friend's son will, no doubt, love their quilts.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:45 PM

Some days I quilt more than other days. For me, it's not a job. I'm retired, old, live alone so no bosses anymore.

If I feel like doing housework or outside stuff (trimming bushes, picking up tree limbs [small ones only], organize closets, I do it. TV watching only the shows I really am interested in.

Lots of time for quilting... with lots of breaks for minor stuff like eating, sleeping, and washing dishes. :-)
Old 04-08-2018, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

There have been many times when I did not go into the sewing room for weeks. When I do any sewing, it is not too much. Relish the time you spend making beautiful things.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:35 PM

Sewing for me is sporadic so any time is good time
Old 04-08-2018, 10:39 PM

Even though I am 77 yr old retired person I still maintain my yard and give piano lessons one day a week and am very involved with my church, I still try to spend time either piecing or LA quilting. Last Friday and Saturday it rained so I spend 4 hours on Friday and another 4 on Saturday and finished a lap quilt. Today Sunday I have been cutting and sewing since 2pm and have just stopped and it is 11:30 pm....it is almost tomorrow. So good nite..