Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How much is too much >

How much is too much

How much is too much

Old 04-09-2018, 07:18 AM

you say 'it is not getting in the way of anything important'. What you did in making the quilts was so very important! What a wonderful way to spend your weekend. Time spent with the tv, your phone or computer does not even compare to have wonderfully you spent your time.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:29 AM

We recently sold one of our retail businesses (after 10 years) so now I have more time to do the things I enjoy...quilting being one of them. I am not into television and don’t spend more than an hour or two a day on the internet or social media. I workout 4 days a week at my YMCA and keep a tidy house so I don’t count the hours I spend in my sewing studio.

Since winters are long in Maine and summers are short, I don’t spend much time sewing. I plant a large vegetable garden and I’d rather be outdoors during the summer months. I agree, if your time sewing doesn’t interfere with anything else, no use keeping track of the hours. ��
Old 04-09-2018, 07:30 AM
Power Poster

I quilt for my own pleasure and don't impose deadlines on myself. My mojo comes and goes and I have accepted that. So when I want to quilt I do. For as long as I am enjoying it. I have other things in my life that I enjoy too.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:40 AM

Since my husband and I are both retired, I don't have too many time restraints. Some days I sew 8 hours, others none. We travel many times throughout the year to see our kids, so no sewing then; once a month I spend 5-6 nights at a quilt retreat and sew maybe 10 or more hours per day. If you are anxious about spending too much time, that makes the time you do sew less fun, so cut back. Sometimes the season depends on how much I sew too and how much time I need to devote to outside work, so be your own judge. Remember quilting is supposed to be fun so make it fit into your schedule.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:54 AM

Is there such a thing as too much time quilting or sewing??? Not at my house. Sometimes dinner waits a little bit if I am on the last row or block of something. Good thing my husband supports my addiction. haha
Old 04-09-2018, 08:30 AM

I'm mad about quilting! Seems like I always have been! Made my first quilt at 8 years old. An orange and green offset strippy backed with flannel from my little sisters blankie.

I don't have a tv and I limit myself to about 2 hours a day online.

I love my lfe and an exceptionally lucky to have it after 4 wake up calls
I've quit dusting the house apparently, but nothing else is going wanting.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:02 AM

I just found out that the wife of a friend of my DH's sews a lot. He said she makes a quilt top every week, then sends it to the "church ladies" to do the hand quilting.
If I could afford to have someone else do the quilting, I bet I would be making a quilt top every week, too.
As it is, I get frustrated with trying to get the machine "just right" for the FMQ. Then before I finish, I need to change it to do a repair or an emergency item. Back to square one. Bah!
Old 04-09-2018, 11:02 AM

I mostly sew on weekends because of working. I often spend 5 hours or so each day if I have no other plans. Like Kelsie, I let my body tell me when it's too much. I'm usually also doing laundry and other chores interspersed with sewing so I'm up and down a lot.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:08 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

It seems to me the only thing you are spending too much time on is worrying about it! LOL!
If your body is able, and nobody is making important demands on you, and you are comfortable with your living arrangements, then sew all day and sleep all night; who cares!
Old 04-09-2018, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

I cut down to 2-4 hours at least per day. I have a couple other interest now. Care of bird,cat and dogs, housework mostly falls on me. My Husband is waiting for weather to warm up so he can spend time outside and doing yardwork. During rainy, or cold weather he mostly sleeps and reads. We retired last day of 2016.