Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to recognize the “Quilt Police”.... >

How to recognize the “Quilt Police”....

How to recognize the “Quilt Police”....

Old 04-12-2018, 11:00 AM

This one quilt police lady said to me, Look at the thread you are wasting!
Old 04-12-2018, 11:12 AM

How about, "How can you call yourself a quilter when you send your quilts out to be long-armed by someone else?"
Old 04-12-2018, 11:56 AM

Some of the comments here reminded me of being told that my machine knitting wasn’t ‘proper’ knitting.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Moira in N.E. England View Post
Some of the comments here reminded me of being told that my machine knitting wasn’t ‘proper’ knitting.
I have an aunt who literally turned up her nose at me when I told her I was trying to learn how to use my knitting machine. She said, in her grumpy Dutch old woman way, "Well!" Yes, "well!"
Old 04-12-2018, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

I can't believe you are using Walmart/Box Store fabrics. The quilt will never last.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
I posted a quilt here once I was told of a mistake at the top of the quilt. I honestly could not see it, but my reply was "Our son will not care; he will love the quilt made for him by his Mother and given in love to him!"

I have been told that God is perfect and every quilt must be humbly made with a mistake or two. Guess mine are very humble and well loved and treasured by friends and family members. And they are used, that's the best complement to me.

If I only gave quilts that were perfect, I'd never give a quilt to anyone and my house would be taken over by the stacks of imperfection. That was insufferably rude and I love your response. I've seen your beautiful work!!! Boo boo's remind me that it was made with loving "human" hands.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I can't believe you are using Walmart/Box Store fabrics. The quilt will never last.
Personally, if my quilts are loved to death, I like it, it gives me a reason to make another. Lol.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:33 PM

I went to a quilt show here locally this winter, and heard the best “quilt Police” comment and response. Lady demonstrating a sit down quilting machine. Snarky remark from “quilt police” officer...” why do that? It is only a real quilt if it is hand quilted like I do.” Quilter at machine with out missing a beat, turns around with big grin on her face and says “oh good, what day is payday?” “Quilt police” officer says, “what?”. Quilter says “Well, if you are going to tell me how to do a this job, I expect to be paid like every other employee!” “Quilt Police” Officer slinks away quietly... the rest of us within hearing distance just grinned at each other. We know....❤️
Old 04-12-2018, 07:44 PM

I've never considered myself a violent person -- I'm really not. However, if I'm making something, whether it be a quilt or otherwise, it's either for myself or for a gift. I am quite sure that the recipient of any quilt I make will not display the unmitigated brass to say it's not a quilt if it's not hand quilted, or some other such insulting remark -- then I would question my judgment for having put that much effort and my dollars into a quilt for some "stuff-shirt snob". I've just never made a quilt for someone who would behave that way. Frankly, anyone making that kind of comment directly to my face -- I would be telling them to get the heck out of my face, out of my house, and don't bother coming back. Sorry if I went over the line here, but frankly, it's no one else's business how I make a quilt -- I will learn from my mistakes, true, but don't insult me with that attitude -- it will only get you invited to leave. I don't have to please anyone else -- constructive suggestions I appreciate, but I only have to please myself and my God.

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 04-12-2018 at 07:46 PM. Reason: additional content
Old 04-13-2018, 03:45 AM

"I don't like those colors together."

"You must use double-fold binding."

"Never iron seams open!"

"You could make a fortune selling quilts on Etsy. I have a friend who gets $100 each for hers."
(This comment was made by a woman I had just given a wedding quilt that cost me $350 to make. It reminds me of the saying... "How do you make a million dollars quilting? Start with two million.")