Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to recognize the “Quilt Police”.... >

How to recognize the “Quilt Police”....

How to recognize the “Quilt Police”....

Old 04-13-2018, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
My quilt police almost lost it when she found out I had combined hand and machine quilting on the same quilt
I do that all the time...combine machine and handwork. No one that gets one of my quilts complains. Who cares? It's my quilt and I'll do it the way I want. Some of my grandmother's quilts were machine stitched and then hand-quilted.

BTW, anyone who criticizes someone else's work is trying to make themselves feel big and the other person small. Just give them a long look...don't say anything. They'll go away quickly and leave you alone.

Edited to add: What happened to, "If you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all?" Kindness is always appreciated.

Last edited by coopah; 04-13-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:12 AM

I often find that I am the victim of the quilt police. Only it is me criticizing my own quilt. I look at some of the things I have done and criticize them. I am currently working on my first all applique quilt. I find myself constantly criticizing it. I keep trying to tell myself it is beautiful, I am not making it for a quilt judge, I am making it for me.
There are no rules in quilting. Do what makes you happy. Don't worry about what others say, even your own thoughts.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:27 AM

I went shopping with a friend who thinks she is a color expert and she volunteered to help me match some material that I had brought with me. I did not ask her to help and did not want her help. I just wanted to look on my own. I had it in my mind I wanted a rather dark red but it had to be the right red. She kept picking out pinks and peaches and I said I don't want pink. She got all mad and said that is what goes with this material. She said it has a peach tone not pink and not red. She really got herself upset about it and I just quit went on looking but couldn't find anything that day. I went to another store without her later in the month and bought a lovely red and it works great. Just what I wanted.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:53 AM

Anyone who says it's not a quilt if it's not hand quilted should be asked if they cook on a gas or electric stove or if they cook over an open fire.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:33 AM

Apparently the quilt police have never heard the old saying that the devil gets into a perfect quilt. You are just saving the world.

Saying has been around forever

http://cookiescreek.com/500/mistakes...ition-or-myth/

http://www.womenfolk.com/historyofquilts/myth8.htm
Old 04-13-2018, 05:39 AM

I used to be my own worst quilt police. I would know every little mistake I made from cutting off a point to crossing over a line of stitching when meander quilting. And any time someone complimented me on the quilt, I pointed out my errors. I have gotten past that..... What really helped me with that was joining a wonderful, supportive, creative, inspirational, and encouraging quilt guild. We have nearly 200 members, lots of show and tell, lots of members willingly sharing tips and techniques, lots of arranged classes, and lots of encouragement!
Old 04-13-2018, 05:41 AM

#1 I do not mind helpful criticism but it really gets under my quilting skin when the message that a finely pieced and machine quilt is some how less of a quilt masterpiece of skill, color and quilting than a hand quilted piece. I admire those who can hand quilt with such skill. But it one of many skills that we quilters can use. Some of us do not have hands that can take on the physically task of hand quilting.

#2 Bug-a-boo is "Oh you could have used some feathers here and here and here and here". Boy I like feathers, but I have a chosen not to spend my time learning how to do feathers. I make quilts to donate and they do not need that level of craftsmanship.

Quilt Police Beware! My sewing room is guarded by an attack pussy cat who will put fur on your quilts if you get to critical of my work. Tee-Hee-Hee Good thread. We need to support our young quilting colleagues. Quilt on!
Old 04-13-2018, 05:44 AM
Vir

Originally Posted by pchp View Post
I have recently joined two guilds and haven't come across any active quilt police yet.
I also belong to two quilt guilds where quilt police are totally absent...only encouragement.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:03 AM

The 'quilt police' are people that used to be on your gift list - but you may now remove them! Other than learning to make a really accurate 1/4" seam - it is your quilt, your decisions, your color choices, etc. You do not make mistakes, you add unique design elements!!! Perhaps your seams are a bit wavy, your points haphazard, the top not quite square - Things get better with practice. These police are not to be confused with all the good folks out there who can offer help and tips. They can suggest ways to learn about tones and values, tips on helping accuracy and choosing blocks. But a good friend and quilter will do this in a way that helps and makes you want to jump in and work more, not feel bad about what you have done! Most important thing is to keep it fun and joyous, everything else is details.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-17-2018 at 01:44 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-13-2018, 06:35 AM

Mine was "You don't expect to sell it for that price do you?" and my response to her was "Not to you I don't!"