Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I swore off buying more, but... >

I swore off buying more, but...

I swore off buying more, but...

Old 04-01-2018, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Quilterman View Post
I have a Singer 223 which looks real close to this but doesn't use cams. About the same color and shape but just
zigzag and straight stitch.
That is very interesting. I wasn't familiar with it, but googled and found this demo of the 223: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hP5lMP4kKw Near the end she says the head was made in Japan in a Singer factory. I knew about the clones, but not about a Singer factory there. She also says the motor was made in Canada. It does indeed look a lot like my 238, except it has a light, which mine does not, and my pressure control knob is on the face plate. The "dashboard" on the 233 seems to be molded into the metal body, whereas on the 238 it's plastic attached to the front. She seems to have one more thread guide just above the needle, and I can't see where my machine ever had one there, but it's making good stitches without it, so I'm not worried.

I thought it was amusing that the first thing she tells us about the machine is about how very heavy it is. When you're used to machines of similar size and age that have aluminum bodies, this one stuns you, especially in the white color, which I associate with lighter machines, too.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:44 PM

SCORE big time It looks like you'll be having fun with this baby.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:25 PM

It is fascinating that you have the quality control paper. Your cams look very much like mine in my Singer 348 which was made in 1967. I am curious about your screwdrivers. I have a small collection. Could we have a picture of them?
Old 04-13-2018, 05:02 PM

Here are all the attachments, except the zigzag foot which is on the machine. They were in a red plastic Singer box. The brown Bakelite handled screwdrivers say "Singer" on them, as do the rolled hem and straight stitch feet. The oil bottle is empty - maybe that's a good indication. The person who sold it to me insisted on plugging it in and stomping on the foot pedal, and it was surprisingly quiet and runs okay. He said his mom rarely used it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	238-Parts.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	592918  
Old 04-14-2018, 04:59 AM

It looks like you have both Type 15 and Type 66 (plastic) bobbins in the attachments photo. My bet is your "238" uses a Type 15 bobbin. I often find a mix of bobbins in vintage machines I buy and speculate that the last words the owner uttered when putting up the machine for the last time were, "Something is wrong with this machine, it doesn't run as well as it used to!"

John Thomas in NC
Old 04-15-2018, 08:45 PM

I've had the same observation with bobbins, and I wasn't planning to use any of these old ones that have a little rust or are the wrong size. Some of my old machines had bobbins that were actually bent. I don't know how that happens. Maybe stepping on them? My treadle machine came with several nice enough bobbins, and I decided to pull off the old thread because it had decayed. Almost every bobbin had 2-3 colors of thread wound over each other. The same was true of my Kenmore that dates to the early 1970's. It's a very nice machine that had every possible attachment, but she couldn't go out and stock up on bobbins?
Old 05-09-2018, 11:10 PM
Banned

Favors my 226, and yes it too weighs a ton. lol It takes the flat cams as well, and not a lot of info on this old gal either, but it's a great sewing machine. Mine came in a cabinet, that I've seen come with another 226 that a member of the VSM FB page had. So, I'm assuming it was the cabinet of choice of these machines. Just thought you'd might like to see a pic.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]594256[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]594257[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	(My) 226 AfterCleaning7.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	594256   Click image for larger version

Name:	(My) Mystery Cabinet.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	594257  
Old 05-10-2018, 05:44 AM

And of course, the cat checking the details on the back of the cabinet.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:26 AM
Banned

Teena there doesn't seem to be much info about any of the Japanese made Singers.

Cari
Old 05-10-2018, 09:09 PM

Teena, your machine is the closest I've seen to a twin to mine, and that cabinet is adorable. I have not seen one quite like that before. Love the furry feet, too!

Just thought to add that if kitty is busy locating the thread to pull out, as one of mine did from a closed cabinet, it's a clever thing for them to do, but thread is potentially deadly for cats. They will swallow a lot of it and it can constrict their intestines. Several years ago someone on this board mentioned she lost her cat in this way.

Last edited by Rose_P; 05-10-2018 at 09:15 PM.