european river cruise

Old 04-13-2018, 10:56 AM

I’d love to do one of these river cruises. So glad I ran into your teviews.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:16 PM

I travel a lot. I have been on six Viking River cruises in Europe, Russia and China. They do a great job. The day stops can either be walking tours or if the sights are further away they may bus you a bit. The time of the year you go depends upon the crowds, but most stops are smaller towns right on the river and are lovely. Great food on board and you don’t have to lug bags around. I highly recommend them. Ships are smaller with 100-120 passengers, nice size. I no longer go on the huge Princess type cruises with thousands of passengers.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:08 PM

thank you all very much for so much info. I, too, love to see more of this country, for some reason not that excited to go to Europe, although I was born there.
thank you, again
Old 04-14-2018, 02:16 AM

My mom (age 94 at the time) and sister went on a river cruise on the Mississippi and really enjoyed it. They stopped at small towns, even the "home" of Popeye.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:43 AM

I would love to go on a European cruise. My husband is more interested in a Carribean cruise. I saw someone's photos of their European cruise several years ago and the pictures were breathtaking. I have been on a cruise from Portland, Maine to Nova Scotia. When I lived in Germany I went on several Rhine River cruises. On my way to London I took a ferry from Belgium, went across the English Channel, saw the cliffs of Dover. We disembarked in the port of Kent, and then my girlfriends and I had lunch by a view of the Canterbury Castle (from "The Canterbury Tales"). We chartered a bus to go from Germany to Paris, France years ago. Nothing can compare to the architecture and landscapes of Europe. The Louvre, The Versailles, Notre Dame, the Eiffel Tower, Moulin Rouge; those are all things worth seeing. Having a European pastry while overlooking a castle is a wonderful memory to have. The one thing I can say is that it is true that the United States is beautiful and there are endless places to explore in this country, however, the landmarks, ambience of other countries and continents is so different and magnificent that it is worth investigating if you can afford to.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by mtkoldra View Post
has any of you been on one of these cruises? did you like it? was it like the adds are showing? are the towns very crowed? My husband keeps talking about going on one of them but I am not so sure.
We have been on 4. Love them.There are fewer passengers, you stop within walking distance of centre of town and most tours are included. We’ve used Avalon river cruises. If you are doing a first cruise , do the Rhine.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:46 AM

I second what Julybaby8 suggested. The area is just beautiful! I believe that, if your cruise takes you to the Rhine, you will probably have the opportunity to disembark at Rudesheim (umlatts over the u) which is known for it's winemaking. If I recall correctly, is also known as "Brandy Town." It is a charming German village with many shops and cafes. Do an internet search for Rudesheim and you will see how lovely it is. You will love it!
Old 04-14-2018, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

We have done one Viking Cruise and are planning another. It was really great. Son and his husband arranged and came with. then they took an Avalon cruise. It wasn't on one of the newer boats. Our next one with them will be Viking again. There is surely a lot to explore here too, but, something different about being overseas and seeing and experiencing very different things. I won't go on a big ocean cruise, even a viking one, with smaller ships. The river cruises are very appealing to me. Very well arranged, thought out, etc. Lots you can do, or not do. On our first trip, one day we didn't take the choice of tours offered, but just walked around the small town. It was Passau, Germany. Walked to a sewing machine store and got two half meters of fabric. The fellow didn't speak English. So much fun.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:04 AM

I'm with you, Annie....Lots to see in this country! DH and I are leaving in mid-May to drive cross country, NY to Seattle, down the coast and turn home at the redwoods. We plan 4-6 weeks....I hope. We tried this same trip last fall, and DH started having anxiety attacks in ND, so we had to turn back That was disappointing for me...this year he has some meds from our doctor to help him.

Tomorrow we are driving to OH to pick up our new camper....a larger camper should make the trip more comfortable.

QUOTE=Anniedeb;8039457]We have several friends that have done these river cruises. They all had rave reviews. They are not cheap! I just have no desire to do that, and neither does DH. There is too must to be explored here. We love the outdoors, and our travels are based on seeing all the beauty and splendor that's out there.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-14-2018 at 11:54 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 04-14-2018, 08:23 AM

Ditto to what Jane Quilter said-- well said! :-) Post #4

There certainly are so many interesting places in the country in which you were brought up and where you reside. When you go to a place outside your own country, where the local people have a different language, different customs, different food, it's a wonderful experience that gives you something that you won't get by travelling in your own home country. If you go, you will discover what I mean.