Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walnut shells for pincushions >

Walnut shells for pincushions

Walnut shells for pincushions

Old 03-24-2018, 08:23 PM

Any kind of an allergy can be very hazardous to individuals coming into contact with the allergens, i.e., peanuts, tree nuts, etc. The problem we have is we really do not know what individuals are sensitive to a particular allergen. I have a violent allergy to room freshener sprays -- I don't know if you would call it anaphyalactic shock, but need medical treatment immediately. Several years after a couple of instances with room freshener sprays, I was also diagnosed as having adult onset asthma. So for those reasons, in this household we have no air freshener sprays or solids, and for 30+ years, my employer would not allow them either directly in our office, or in adjacent condominium offices which he owned. From personal experience, I would never want to cause anyone the distress that occurs by coming in contact with the allergens to which one might be sensitive -- it doesn't feel very well. So, ladies, I don't know too much about making pin cushions, but rice is a nice, weighty grain. Just consider this, someone who's allergic to peanuts or tree nuts (and allergies to both can be present) even if what you're making only comes into contact with walnut shells, a serious allergic reaction can occur. So, either don't use walnut shells or make absolutely certain warning labels are present!
Old 03-27-2018, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Walnuts, sawdust, and any other woody type of pincushion filler will dull pins and needles faster than other stuffings. Think about a saw. It gets dull from sawing wood and is sharpened with a stone. Emery is the best filler, but even cat litter is better than walnuts as far as the life span of the pins is concerned.
I've been saying that for years but a lot of people actually believe the shells sharpen your pins. I have no idea how that is even physically possible.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
I've been saying that for years but a lot of people actually believe the shells sharpen your pins. I have no idea how that is even physically possible.
I don't believe it is. Like running a diaper pin through our hair (back in the day) when changing diapers, it didn't sharpen the pin, it simply lubricated the tip of the pin with the natural oils from our hair helping the pins slide through the fabric easier.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:51 AM

I made a pincushion out of the reptile bedding. I had to put some of my stuff in storage for a few months. When I started using my pincushion again, it was like there was something on the pins. I ended up soaking the pins in rubbing alchohol and then most of them seemed fine, but a few still seem funky.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:13 AM

Lilaciris are you saying that the pins would not go into the fabric easily after the storage period?