New To Me Sears Kenmore

Old 04-14-2018, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
What are the numbers on the plate that is showing just under the ledge on the front? I have a few that look similar to this machine. Did you get any manuals along with your new treasures. Were there any accessories?
Have fun!

No manuals.. Model 148.13101 SN: 65306 Only two bobbins and a zipper foot.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
No manuals.. Model 148.13101 SN: 65306 Only two bobbins and a zipper foot.
The kenmores of this vintage are great machines. Mine keeps on sewing after 40+ years of use. It handles heavyweight fabric so much better than my new electronic machine. I was able to buy a short shank 1/4 inch foot and a walking foot from my local sewing machine/repair shop for it. You might still be able to buy parts from Sears.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:57 AM

I have this Kenmore that I bought new in 1973 with my high school graduation money and took to college. Still working and my daughter took it to college in 2013. She owns a featherweight now and so I have the Kenmore back. It's a workhorse. It even got dropped taking it out of the back of a minivan about 15 years ago and the only thing that happened was one of the spool pins bent a little. Mine is portable and came with a case. Nice machine because it's all metal but so heavy!
Old 04-17-2018, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
I have this Kenmore that I bought new in 1973 with my high school graduation money and took to college. Still working and my daughter took it to college in 2013. She owns a featherweight now and so I have the Kenmore back. It's a workhorse. It even got dropped taking it out of the back of a minivan about 15 years ago and the only thing that happened was one of the spool pins bent a little. Mine is portable and came with a case. Nice machine because it's all metal but so heavy!
Yes, they are workhorses. The older machines were metal and were made to be used - forever. This one came to me in a case, but does have the metal to install in a cabinet. I have a Singer cabinet that it will probably fit nicely in.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
Yes, they are workhorses. The older machines were metal and were made to be used - forever. This one came to me in a case, but does have the metal to install in a cabinet. I have a Singer cabinet that it will probably fit nicely in.
Kenmore machines don't fit in other brand cabinets without significantly modifying it first. Kenmore beds are a different size, have square corners and the hinge spacing is different. You'd have better luck looking for a Kenmore cabinet.

Cari
Old 05-12-2018, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Kenmore machines don't fit in other brand cabinets without significantly modifying it first. Kenmore beds are a different size, have square corners and the hinge spacing is different. You'd have better luck looking for a Kenmore cabinet.

Cari
This is good information. I haven't even looked to see if it would even fit. I have another Singer that might fit in that cabinet as well. Right now I have to keep at least one machine free as I take one to sewing groups.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:50 PM

I think I had one of those Kenmores, the left dial looks familiar. I could never make it do anything but a straight stitch though .

I loved my mom's 1960's Kenmore and wish I had never given it up. It quit working when the brushes wore out and I couldn't replace them because the brush housing was also worn out. It was the kind with the cams for fancy stitches. I never used those but I did use the buttonholer once, worked as slick as can be!
Old 05-14-2018, 04:47 PM

I had a Kenmore similar to this one. I loved it. It was a real work horse.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:38 PM

My Kenmore is a little older, but very similar. Very nice machine that did everything I asked of her until she was replaced by an Elna in 1973. She did come out of hiding to do a wedding dress in 1990 because the room she was in was bigger than my sewing room. One of these days, I'll dig it out and post here.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:40 PM

The Kenmore brings back memories. I think its what Mom had (after her brown Crinkle New Home).