Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-washing...Colour catchers. >

Pre-washing...Colour catchers.

Pre-washing...Colour catchers.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:59 AM
mac

Yep, I am glad that I turned in my front load washing machine for a top loader. Unfortunately, when my front loader machine kicked the bucket, I didn't have enough money to buy the machine I wanted. I figured I would go for a really simple, inexpensive machine. I thought less could go wrong with a simpler, no extra bells and whistles on the machine, I was a little too hasty and didn't give it enough thought. My machine does not let you soak your clothes at all. It automatically locks the lid and starts washing. If the lid is open when the machine is finished filling with water and you don't close the lid within 10 or so minutes, the machine automatically drains the water. I guess there is a difference between inexpensive and cheap. My machine is cheap.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
JaneQuilter and Watson ...
I'll answer both of you ....

Most LQS' sell it.
For Watson, I have never seen it at Len's, nor Fabricland, but not saying that other locations have it than where I have been. JaneQuilter, I'm not in the States, so don't know about Joanne's etc. I have seen here on the QB that some have ordered it online from Dharma Trading, USA based.

Here's a Dharma link that tells you more ...
https://www.dharmatrading.com/chemicals/retayne.html

I have always washed the fabric once with colour catchers.
If they come out coloured, I may wash and second time, but most times I go straight to Retayne.

I run hot water into my washing machine and add the Retayne. Let it Swish. Then add the fabric.
I usually toss in a colour catcher, just as a monitor, but have never had one come out coloured. Swish til all is soaked and submerged. Then I close the lid and let it sit. Usually hours rather than the 20 minutes they say. When I am ready, I finish the wash cycle ... and dry.

Until now, I have never heard the Synthropol recommendation but I don't see the need.
Actually I see it as countering what you want to do ... like it said, expect some fading.
I want to add that I use the washing machine, Retayne (1 tsp per yard) and color catcher just as you do but my washer is a front load and it works just as well. I put the Retayne in the detergent dispenser and use hot water, let the cycle start and distribute water/Retayne solution then stop my washer and let it set for quite a while before finishing the cycle. The question on a front loader usually comes up Oops I just read posts after submitting and see that the front load issue has already come up. Not to start a debate at all, but I do love my front load.

Last edited by mopec; 04-16-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:57 AM

The link: Save my Bleeding Quilt uses Dawn Ultra Pure as one of its test items, when I google for that particular version of Dawn, it's not to be found. Dawn Ultra, Dawn Pure Essentials are available.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
The link: Save my Bleeding Quilt uses Dawn Ultra Pure as one of its test items, when I google for that particular version of Dawn, it's not to be found. Dawn Ultra, Dawn Pure Essentials are available.
Vicki Welsh gives a link to Dawn Ultra Pure in her article. I'm surprised you couldn't find it via Google.

She also states that she doesn't see any reason why any of the Dawn products wouldn't work. You just want to avoid detergents with bleach or other chemicals that might react adversely.

Several quilters, me included, have had success with this method using the regular blue Dawn.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Vicki Welsh gives a link to Dawn Ultra Pure in her article. I'm surprised you couldn't find it via Google.

She also states that she doesn't see any reason why any of the Dawn products wouldn't work. You just want to avoid detergents with bleach or other chemicals that might react adversely.

Several quilters, me included, have had success with this method using the regular blue Dawn.
Thanks Peckish!
Old 04-16-2018, 03:55 PM

I prewash every piece of fabric that comes in the house. I also test fabrics for bleeding, and if they bleed, I treat them with a dye setting solution that I bought online (not retayne) --This product is relatively inexpensive, and I've never had it fail. I have asthma, so I prewash everything, to prevent bleeding, but most importantly, to eliminate the possibility of respiratory reactions to chemicals in fabric. I've never had a fabric bleed after treating it.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:11 PM
mac

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I prewash every piece of fabric that comes in the house. I also test fabrics for bleeding, and if they bleed, I treat them with a dye setting solution that I bought online (not retayne) --This product is relatively inexpensive, and I've never had it fail. I have asthma, so I prewash everything, to prevent bleeding, but most importantly, to eliminate the possibility of respiratory reactions to chemicals in fabric. I've never had a fabric bleed after treating it.
What is the name of this product?

Just curious, as I will try Dawn first, since I always have it on hand. As a matter of fact, I am using Dawn on one of my sweatshirts, as we speak, trying to get some grease spots off. I didn't realize that I had any stains and washed and dried it. Darn! Some website said to try that and let it set for a few hours and then wash it again. We'll see how well it works.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
Yep, I am glad that I turned in my front load washing machine for a top loader. Unfortunately, when my front loader machine kicked the bucket, I didn't have enough money to buy the machine I wanted. I figured I would go for a really simple, inexpensive machine. I thought less could go wrong with a simpler, no extra bells and whistles on the machine, I was a little too hasty and didn't give it enough thought. My machine does not let you soak your clothes at all. It automatically locks the lid and starts washing. If the lid is open when the machine is finished filling with water and you don't close the lid within 10 or so minutes, the machine automatically drains the water. I guess there is a difference between inexpensive and cheap. My machine is cheap.

Try this to see if it lets you soak your fabric. Get a small magnet and place it over where the lid closes. Experiment as to position. My DH likes to leave our lid open too and this was his solution. The magnet needs to be over the switch location.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
what sort of shop washes fabric before sale?
The American Textile Museum closed and donated their woven fabric (still on the back beam of the looms) to the NE Quilt Museum. I had to hire movers because some of the loaded beams weighed about 200 pounds, then unwind and cut the pieces before stitching seams for coverlets, lap robes, place mats and table runners. Everything also had to be washed as there was shrinkage and in the case of the red, bleeding.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:12 AM

"I have never figured out how to use retayne in my front loader. And I have a bottle of the stuff that I wanted to use wih a black fabric that runs does anyone know if the retayne will work if I put the fabric in a tub of water instead of using the washer?" (Sorry, haven't figured out the quote ability.)

Retayne works well in a tub or bucket. You need a large enough container/tub so your fabric can move freely in the hot water. Use a teaspoon of Retayne for each yard of fabric in hot water. When you put the dry fabric in, stir regularly for 20 minutes. Then rinse with cold water. (If I have several yards of fabric or more, I throw it in the washer at this point!) I hate to admit it but I usually throw in a Color Catcher for my peace of mind.