Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stuck batting >

Stuck batting

Stuck batting

Old 04-19-2018, 09:36 AM

Default Stuck batting

A little bit of batting got stuck to the back of my quilt as I was FMQing. I really do not want to rip out my stitches and have been trying to cut/pull/tweeze the batting out with unsatisfactory results. Anyone out there have any better ideas? What if I soak that section in water?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

When I have quilted in a piece of fabric, I trim it with my duck bill scissors close to the stitching line. I can then gently pull the threads of the fabric out from the other side. I would think the same could be done with batt. The only problem that might occur is your stitches may look loose from the extra thickness of going through the batt.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Are the quilting stitches really small? That would make removal more difficult. Also, I am wondering what kind of batting it is. If it's Warm and Natural, which is needlepunched through scrim, the scrim may remain even if you get all of the cotton batting fibers out. (Scrim is a very thin, lightweight polyester fabric.) I do think water might help as it would soften up the fibers and maybe help them clump together. How about using a soft toothbrush once the fibers are wetted? Might be enough to help pull the batting out from under the stitches. Just be careful not to scrub too hard.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:23 PM

Tweezers are your friend when trying to pull the fibres out - the smaller each pull is, the easier it will be to persuade it to come out.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

If you are lucky enough to have it near the edge, maybe you could put the label over it.....
Old 04-20-2018, 06:20 AM

Happens to all of us at some time. My question is (and I don't mean this to sound uppity) will you be happy and satisfied with "picking" it out. It would be fine for me but I have a friend who would be "bothered" every time she looked at the quilt. Why? She "knows" it is there - her mistake is there and that bothers her. I would find a way to make it work - she would take it all apart and redo.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:43 AM

Thank you all for your great suggestions. This board is so helpful and its members are the best!!
Old 04-21-2018, 02:40 AM

I would trim the batting very close to the quilting stitches on each side, then use tweezers. It should work, but it'll probably take alot of time. Removing the quilting stitches is always an option, but then it's hard to piece in that bit of machine quilting seamlessly.