Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Westalee and other Special Ruler Foot >

Westalee and other Special Ruler Foot

Westalee and other Special Ruler Foot

Old 04-20-2018, 04:10 AM

Default Westalee and other Special Ruler Foot

I'm looking at doing some ruler FMQ. According to what I've learned so far, you have to have a ruler foot for your domestic machine and they come in 3 sizes, small shank, middle shank and large shank depending on your brand machine. Westalee is a brand. I have seen other rulers, i.e., Angela Walters has a line and I saw some on Amazon but don't remember the brand. That is the extent of my ruler knowledge. What can anyone else tell me? What do I definitely need and what should I definitely stay away from? Or any hints? TIA
Old 04-20-2018, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

I just bought a starter set from Westalee. It has the foot for high or low shank and I chose the high. I haven't used it yet though but I've been watching tutorials like Angela Walters. It looks like fun.
I want to get the one that does feathers but that's in the future. I need to get simple patterns down first.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I just bought a starter set from Westalee. It has the foot for high or low shank and I chose the high. I haven't used it yet though but I've been watching tutorials like Angela Walters. It looks like fun.
I want to get the one that does feathers but that's in the future. I need to get simple patterns down first.

From what I know, you have to buy the shank that fits your specific machine and the medium fits my Pfaff 4.2 Quilt Expression. I also want to learn feathers.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:37 AM

If you contact a Westalee dealer they will tell you exactly which foot you need for your machine. That is helpful. It also comes with a ruler with a straight and rounded edge and a spacer to get you started. I used that for a long time before I bought the starter kit and took the class. I recommend you take a class once you get into the more detailed rulers because there is a lot to learn to really get the most use out of them.

There are a lot of YouTubes that you can start with, as well, with the basic straight and curved ruler.

Watson
Old 04-20-2018, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rvsfan View Post
From what I know, you have to buy the shank that fits your specific machine and the medium fits my Pfaff 4.2 Quilt Expression. I also want to learn feathers.
Right you are. I found the one for my machine.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

Bernina has its own ruler foot and ruler set. I have had fun with mine and haven't purchased any others yet. The one ruler I want is a nice big arch ruler for curved crosshatching. Some rulers have a strip on the bottom to help them from slipping and that might be helpful. I bought the little gripper circles but they don't work as well as the little squares of shelf lining underneath that Gina Perkes recommends. Her video series is on The Quilt Show.
The Westalee company is really good if you need a generic foot and rulers for your machine.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:10 AM

You just need the correct ruler foot for your machine. Also you need rulers of the correct thickness for your foot
Old 04-20-2018, 09:41 AM

Look into Patsy Thompson’s website. She has lots of good information on what foot to buy and what rulers to use with it.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:49 PM

I bought my Westalee rulers from Nancy's Notions. When you place your order you have to give them the make & model of your machine & they determine which is the correct shank for that machine. I purchased the starter set first & was so pleased that I ordered the one for circles, feathers & echo. One of my best investments!
Old 04-21-2018, 04:19 AM
Administrator

martelli makes a line of rulers for free motion shapes.
they are reasonably priced.
i think you'd have to buy a ruler foot separately, though.