Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ Fears >

FMQ Fears

FMQ Fears

Old 04-22-2018, 09:08 AM

Thank you for sharing your beautiful quilt photos. And I agree about the worrying! So true
Old 04-22-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
your quilting is awesome! my CURRENT problem (changes all of the time ha ha) with FMQ is when I want to do something other than meandering or stipples. I need a guide and I HATE marking the quilt - it takes me sooo long to do the marking. Your template is interesting.. how do you use that?
meyert! Thank you for your kind post. My process was to put the patterns (I chose the flower and leaves separately) into my computer program (happened to use PhotoShop). What I like about PhotoShop is that I may increase the size of the patterns without them going blurry on me. After I chose my patterns I chose the size I wanted (I believe it was 8.0" x 12.?"). I then printed the pattern is sections (in order to keep the size). After I got my sizes, I used my vinyl sheet and copied the (full-size) pieces onto it. I then took the full-size paper copies (taped together) glued them to a piece of cardboard and cut them out as best I could. I cut them in four pieces for easier handling. I then made a document of the pattern in an 8 x 10.5 size and printed out how it would look with 3 rows. I use the vinyl sheet to use over my quilt for placement (love that I can see through it). I happen to have 5 blocks across and 7 blocks down so that I have an easy center block to start from. I am quilting it in quarters from center to corner. This seems to work well for this quilt. I spray my backing, batting and quilt with adhesive spray to attach them so I do not have to use any pins. This has worked well for me. I use Sullivan's spray. Used to get it at my LQS but it has closed so will get it from Amazon next time. If there is anything else that I may help you with, please let me know. Yolanda
Old 04-22-2018, 12:33 PM

This is the first quilt that I have FMQed that I am really enjoying FMQ. I have been so intimidated by the quilting that my fears have kept me from enjoying the process. The practice piece (large) was the key for me. It takes quite a while to program your head into knowing what you want to do. This large piece really helped me. As I began marking my pattern, it was not long into it that I realized that I would have to "let go of wanting it just so" and just putting down the pieces where they fit with a bit of a goal in mind. This time I am enjoying FMQ (after all these years). Once the whole quilt is done, no one, I mean no one but the quilt police will know that I "fudged" it. Fortunately, I do not have any quilt police in my life. I have stayed away from the borders as I want to do some inspirational writing around the quilt, i.e, You are stronger than you think, smarter than you know and loved by more people than you can imagine. I will have to practice the FMQ over the writing as there is no going back once you start. Just will take my time and do my best.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

Good for you yolajean! Your quilting looks great. I've been honing my skills considerably lately. FMQ has become the thing I like best about quilting, even though it isn't the thing I am best at. It gets better with practice. I am not afraid of it, just keep at it. I practiced a lot of feathers recently and did an adequate job on the borders. I think they will get better. My issue is that I've been using thread to match the fabric, to hide mistakes, but, the problem with that is, I can't see where I'm backtracking, if I have a motif that calls for it. So my next challenge is to use a slightly contrasting thread. If you do Facebook, there is a site called Sit Down Free Motion Quilting with Jeanne Harrison. She has a bunch of free lessons and demonstrations and it is a very supportive community. Also, Leah Day has a lot of free instruction and demos on her website, www.leahday.com. Glad to see your beautiful work.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:11 PM

Yolajean, you rock! Good for to make those donation quilts and figuring out how to make a design for fmq that works for you. The wise words you shared about worry are so true!
Old 04-22-2018, 02:44 PM

I just want to tell you thank you!!!! I am inspired by you.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:02 AM

You’re doing amazing work. I have been practicing for awhile and decided I needed to just try. When fmq, I found all kinds of “mistakes” but after the quilt was finished, the mistakes somewhat disssppear and I love looking at the small, “finished” quilt. Not perfect, but ok for a starter piece.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I love the stencil and your work is lovely.

As Angela Walters says... It isn’ a quilt until it’s quilted.

Happy quilting.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:08 AM

Your enthusiasm and positivity is so inspiring ��
Old 04-24-2018, 05:13 PM

yolajean...so glad you jumped into the FMQ, although looks like you really did some planning. your quilt looks great and I bet you will be glad to do another. Thanks for sharing your success.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:53 PM

I watched Angela Walters free motion videos on Youtube. She really gives some good tips and tricks and inspired me to give rulers a try and be a little more creative with what I am doing.