Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Brother pq1500 >
  • Brother pq1500

• Brother pq1500

Old 02-07-2018, 07:58 AM

Hi im a total newbee with a awsome brother pq 1500s any tips would help. I am wnting to fmq with it. I would like to hear about this machine, anything about it. well wish me luck and thank you in advance. cheryl g
    Old 02-07-2018, 08:03 AM

thank you for the info.
    Old 02-07-2018, 08:17 AM

Welcome to the board Cheryl While I don't have the brother 1500 I do have a very similar Juki straight stitch machine and I think you will absolutely Love it, as I do! The best advice I received last year when I started sewing was to never skimp on needles, bobbins or thread. Use the manufacturers bobbins, my machine loves Schmetz needles (here's a wonderful website about various types/sizes https://www.schmetzneedles.com/schme...-needle-chart/ ) and my machine seems to like Aurifil 50wt thread. You will find many excellent forum threads on this site about different needle types/sizes and threads/weights - this forum is a wealth of information. Lastly, keep the bobbin area clean of lint, oil regularly and be sure to have Fun!

Also, I recommend YouTube and the Craftsy website for great FMQ classes - I like Christna Cameli and Angela Walters classes.

Hope that's helpful - enjoy and be sure to show pics!

Christine

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-07-2018 at 09:16 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Old 02-07-2018, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by cheryl gaiownik
    Hi im a total newbee with a awsome brother pq 1500s any tips would help. I am wnting to fmq with it. I would like to hear about this machine, anything about it. well wish me luck and thank you in advance. cheryl g
    I highly recommend the Yahoo group for this machine. Lots of friendly, helpful people there, and great info in the file/document section also.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PQ1500/info
    Old 02-07-2018, 01:49 PM
    Power Poster

Agree with Peckish and if you use Facebook there is a helpful group there too.
    Old 02-07-2018, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Maire
    I have had that machine since approx 2001, when I first bought it there was a group list for it that has been long gone but there were some great tips, the best one was from someone who knew a Brother tech , he said for quilting, free motion, use a stretch needle, the longer scarf makes a difference with how the thread lays. I have used the Stretch Needles, size 14 since, have had no problems, but also learned to change needles often. It is a great machine!
    There is a support group for the 1500, I just recently joined. Very helpful.
    Old 02-07-2018, 06:22 PM

I have one of the Juki machines and when she starts acting funny it's usually lint in the feed dogs and needing a new needle. Lint also seems to get caught behind the bobbin housing so everytime I change the bobbin I check for lint before I reinstall. I've gotten in the habit of taking the throat plate off and cleaning under there every so often and so far (crossing fingers) no more issues. I've learned to change my needle as much as I need to also, I was trying to make them last but my husband pointed out that after the cost of fabric, batting, thread, that the needle(s) are the least expensive item in a project.
    Old 02-08-2018, 05:38 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by cheryl gaiownik
    I don't thread the all the holes in the 3 hole bar. I use the the far right one as a thread guide. The bar is for specialty threads that need extra tension. Oil the machine often. It's easy to remove the housing to deep clean. Buy a LED bulb for it too.
    Old 04-30-2018, 01:03 PM
    Power Poster

I am wondering if anyone with this machine has successfully inserted the pin for the pin feed. I got my machine used and I have a new pin and the gizmo to install but I can't find a video or good tutorial and the instruction book doesn't give me much help. Thanks.
    Old 05-01-2018, 05:34 AM

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/22...r-Pq1500s.html

We had to. I had mine serviced by a Brother dealer who didn't sell them. The tech was totally unaware of the fact that the machine had 4 feed dog positions and a pin. We had to fix it ourselves.

The top is a link to the manual for it.