Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sticker Shock... >

Sticker Shock...

Sticker Shock...

Old 05-05-2018, 06:49 AM

Can you please translate that into $? Thanks!!
Old 05-05-2018, 09:53 AM

Ho, that is hilarious!!!!

Originally Posted by IceLeopard View Post
I think the least I paid for fabric was $0.10 a yard, back in 1980. I had toddlers and I wanted to make sundresses for them. So I saw this fabric "Wow, only $0.10 a yard?!" It was red with little white figures on it; remember in those days fabric was rolled wrong side out on the bolt to keep it from fading? So I didn't look at it any closer than that, and I bought I think 2 or 3 yards of it. I got it home and laid it out to cut out the sundresses and it was Christmas fabric! Well I had it, and the kids still needed sundresses, so I used it anyway. They wore those Christmas sundresses for a couple of years. And then the fabric became Christmas bags and quilts and all sorts of other things.

DH still thinks that fabric is $2/yard, and expensive fabric is $4 or $5/yard. He looked at the Great Wall of Boxes in my sewing room and said indignantly "You must have two hundred dollars in fabric here!" I have not disabused him of this opinion.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:08 PM

You are so kind to your husband! Mine told me to get a hobby, so I did. Now he regrets encouraging me. Poor baby, didn't know what I was getting into.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:09 PM

Me, too, Jingle.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:11 PM

LQS shops here are $12.99 - $14.99. Cleveland area.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:26 AM

I have a stash and still buy fabric. My husband knows how much my hobby costs and encourages me to quilt because he understands the joy I get from it. I do not shop at "that big box store" but at my local quilt shop. We are certainly not rich but I am willing to pay the price as I consider it cheaper than therapy, drugs or alcohol. LOL
Old 05-07-2018, 06:26 AM

I retired 12 years ago and its catching up with me now. Sticker shock at grocery stores, fabric stores and medical bills. DH complaints about LA charges at $180 to $200 per quilt and the monies I spend on my 'hobby' quilting. It has not stopped me yet.

I bought fabric for five years before I retired. My advise would be to stock up on blends and colors that you like. I go to Fabric Depot in Portland, Oregon online and order my solid Kona by the bolt 'cause that saves me lots of money. It runs from 14 to 16 yards of 45" fabric. They also have good fabric detective that can find what I purchased five years back to finish projects...not necessarily from them. I go to local quilt shop reduction or close out sales. Make four trips when the fabric was reduced to 75% off. And went back to pick up a 4 foot table, adjustable, for $20. I am sharing the bounty with four other quilters (as soon as I have the monies to ship it to them) and have reduced by stash by 29 empty totes. . . and still have enough to last more than 20 years. I am 77 this year and going on strong.

Lord be willing that I can sew and live that long! Meanwhile I am going to enjoy every blessed day that I can and still go shopping on sales and special occasions like the All Iowa Quilt Shop Hop in the month of June.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Mac, I'm so glad you're back quilting.
I think I know the store you mean and I hate it. I won't buy their fabrics. I haven't shopped there in so long that I have no idea what their prices are. I just don't like their fabric.
I shop mostly online these days and rarely spend that kind of money for fabric. Look around and you can find quality at a good price.