Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Restoration - Salvaging - Fixing - Repairing >

Restoration - Salvaging - Fixing - Repairing

Restoration - Salvaging - Fixing - Repairing

Old 05-06-2018, 08:47 AM
DJ

Great question which stirs memories! I'm having a problem with an afghan that my mother started to make for my brother. They are both deceased. A part of me would like to finish it, but it is crochet which I could do but don't really enjoy and would involve embroidery over the crochet. I'll probably never finish it, but don't get rid of it either.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:49 AM

I recently spent at least 20 hours rebuilding a jacket for a young friend. I'm not sentimental, but he is. The jacket was his grandfather's. The GF gave J the coat while GF was still alive. It had been worn to the point of no return by both of them. Why did I do it? Because J means something to me and the jacket means something to him. Add on; "While you have the jacket apart, can you add some extra lining?" No, but I did. I also added leather to the worn off cuff and pocket edges. What does the song say? 'The things we do for love.'
Old 05-06-2018, 09:40 AM

It depends on my attachment. I had a crocheted dresser scarf that my great grandmother made. I kept it until it crumbled every time I touched it. I decided that my memory of it was good enough.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:42 PM

When my 4 grandchildren were born, I made each of them 2 small flannel quilts. I gave one to my daughter for my grandchildren. Those ended up in tatters, but I kept one for them to use when they stayed at our house. Now my oldest granddaughter has a baby and he has my copy of her quilt which seems brand new. When the other kids have kids, they will still have a "brand new" looking quilt. Eventually, they will still get their quilt whether they have kids or not.

In the meantime , I have been trying to re quilt my mother's wedding ring quilt. (For years, she was begging me to take some of the batting out as it was too thick.). I washed both the top and the backing and mended a tear, but the backing no longer fits the top. So, I am going to have to spread out the top, cut new batting and add a new backing to fit. It is still waiting.......

Last edited by VernaL; 05-06-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:55 PM

This is a very good thought provoking question. I know that some things like my late husband's favorite Hawaiian shirts will stay in my closet. However, why am I still holding onto his old stained and well-worn work jeans and jean shorts? The reason is simple: I plan to make something out of them for his siblings and our sons. It's been 8 years and every once in a while I will go through the tub hiding in my closet. My niece wanted some of his shirts to make pillows for my youngest son's wedding 2 years ago but I think they are packed away somewhere in her home now. LOL! I am going through a stage of 'getting rid' of things now so that tub may be cleaned out soon.

On the other hand, I know that all of the boxes of pictures, paperwork, memories from the 4 of us, etc is keeping me from feeling totally free because I know it should be done, but no interest in doing it. (I hope that makes sense.)

I just went through some quilting books, magazines, and patterns and will be donating them to our church garage sale. Baby steps.

The quilt that I made in high school (late 60's) is in need of repair in places but it just rides now in my car in case of an emergency. It only has significance to me,
Old 05-07-2018, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

I've been on a serious mission to declutter for a couple of years now. One thing I've done is take photos of things I care about but no longer want to keep. Sometimes all I need is the memory.
It's funny you brought this up. I was at my Mom's this past weekend and we were talking about my favorite dress when I was little. I called it my Cherry dress and Mom said I wanted to wear it every day! I would kill to have that dress now so I could put it in a quilt but Mom gave it to our neighbors when I outgrew it.
I have my Dad's Pendleton shirts that he lived in when home and I'm going to make something for my sister and me out of them. The fabrics are just as lovely as they were years ago.
I'm just getting really tired of "stuff" !!!
One of my sons was here recently and he said "Mom, the house is starting to look rather spartan"!!!
It made me laugh b/c he and his wife are minimalists but I guess he is just used to all my stuff hahaha
I told him I'm trying to emulate them
Old 05-07-2018, 07:56 AM

My dad was a farmer and wasn't one for evening wear. Ha! However, Mom made him a bathrobe, and the occasion for wearing it was when out of town children and grandchildren arrived in late at night for overnight visits. So our memories are of being greeted by him in that bathrobe when we arrived.

After Dad passed away, I helped Mom sort through and give away his clothes. When it came to the bathrobe, I took it and still wear it. It wasn't worn out when I got it, but it is getting bad now. Plus one pocket is gone, because I used it in a label for the quilt we made for Mom with the family names arranged in crossword style.

I guess my advice would be to not make any quick decisions, think about what might be salvaged from the item and used in something else, and if you do discard it, don't look back. The person who owned and used the item is in your heart. Just cherish the memories.

Now I need to do something with the rest of the fabric (black and read plaid) that might become part of some keepsakes.