Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bearding - what happened? >

Bearding - what happened?

Bearding - what happened?

Old 05-03-2018, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

When did you purchase the batting? I saw postings on a longarm group that Hobbs had a problem with an entire batch of their wool batting, and I think it was their Tuscany wool. However, the problem was quite a few months ago. I suppose some of that bad batch could still be sitting on a store shelf somewhere. In any case, I think you should contact Hobbs and include photos.

Regarding Quilter's Dream wool, a QB board member had significant problems with it awhile ago and I see mention of this problem crop up in a post once in awhile.

sails, I would be interested to know if using Static Guard on your quilt helps. All of the bearding problems I have seen in the past related to machine quilting, not hand quilting, so I was surprised to see it can be a problem when hand quilting too.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:45 PM

Sheri,

Hello! My name is Stephanie Hackney and I’m the director of sales and marketing for Hobbs Bonded Fibers, makers of Hobbs Batting.

I’m sorry you’re experiencing an issue with your quilt.

To start, there are generally three causes of bearding:
1. The needle was not new and sharp - even a tiny burr in a needle can create havoc. We recommend using a new needle every time you start a new quilt, and periodically check your needle while quilting to make sure the needle is still in good shape.
2. The needle was too large - this creates holes that are larger than they should be and can allow the batting to be pulled through the fabric.
3. The thread tension was too tight, creating extra space in the thread holes through which the batting appears.

Additionally, using a low threadcount fabric can result in bearding, but we assume most experienced quilters use good quality quilting fabrics ($12/yard or higher is generally a good gauge).

It’s rarely the batting that causes the bearding issue unless a very low quality batting is used.

If you can send us pictures of your quilt where the bearding has occurred, or better yet, if you’re willing to send us the quilt (we vow to take good care of it and return it safely), we’d be happy to examine the bearding to see if we can determine the cause.

You can reach me at shackney at hoobsbondedfibers dot com or by phone at 254 301 3039 (Please Note: I’m traveling internationally for business right now and am 7 hours ahead of central time).

Thank you for purchasing our batting - I look forward to assisting you.

Have a great day,
Stephanie
Old 05-07-2018, 05:33 AM

Stephanie and all,

My grandmother was a very experience quilter, and a good one. She used often used low thread count muslins and feedsacks. She also used wool batting. Her quilts didn't have bearding problems at all. She did not machine quilt. Your suggestions regarding blunt needles and tension seem a more reasonable explanation to me.

Regarding the suggestion to use spritzing with anti-cling products because of static and 5-sided molecules-- it sounds like a possible scientific solution, but not one that would work with my bearded quilts. The fibers are not laying on the quilt due to static like dog hair would. They are attached inside the quilts and coming through the fabric to the outside (high quality fabric) and, incidentally, not only through the holes made by the machine quilting.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:23 AM

I think the issue with the static is that potentially the batting fibers are clinging to the fabric fibers and as the fabric fibers shift and move, the batting fibers cling and move with it and could move between the holes in the fabric enough to show on the quilt top. We all know quilting is quite the exhausting process and there is a lot of movement, and the same with washing a quilt.

OP, if you try the anti-static spray or try washing again with a dryer sheet in the dryer, I'd be curious to know if you have any resolution. Certainly hope that you do. I've never used a wool batt but I know many board members love it.

Is the bearding where the quilting holes are? Is it all over the fabric? The suggestions regarding blunt needles and tension would make sense if it's just where the stitching is, but if it's coming through all over the fabric, I wouldn't think it applies there.

eta: I dry my quilts with a dryer sheet and haven't had any problems, but again, I have never used a wool batt. Just cotton.