Safety of aging motor

Old 05-05-2018, 07:46 AM

I have a beautiful White Family with cloth covered wiring that I wouldn't dream of plugging in. It looks too scary, but this one doesn't. In fact, I think I will put it in the paper and see what happens. I think it's the one with mother of pearl inlays.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:04 AM

Oh, yes, be careful with your White Family, unless the wiring is very flexible and supple it's probably dangerous. It's not very difficult to rewire a machine, there's lots of very good info on how it do it, and these old machines were made to be kept up and serviced for decades. It's well within a DIY job, but it pobably takes a few hours, at least I spent a lot of time soldering wire ends and neat loops for the plugs. I would not have dared to if it wasn't for the web tutorials and expert help.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

I would think since it is old that it does not come with a polarized plug. you can just buy an adapter plug and all should be well.
Old 05-05-2018, 09:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I would think since it is old that it does not come with a polarized plug. you can just buy an adapter plug and all should be well.
Not necessary. Most of my machines do not have a polarized plug.

Cari
Old 05-06-2018, 06:47 AM

you need an adapter to go from a polarized plug to a non-polarized outlet, but not the other way around.

My old house had all non-polarized outlets when we moved in. Now it's fully rewired and up to code.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I'm not worried about that. I don't think my 301s are polarized. The plug is huge with a grounding prong, so it will be fine, though whoever put it on left more copper wire showing than I would. I will take care of that before I use it.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:46 AM

Motor windings are coated in lacquer. I haven't heard of the windings failing from age; they usually fail when the motor overheats, causing the lacquer to melt or burn away and the wire to short out. This is when you get a light show from the brushes and commutator.

I would look closely at the wires running into the motor. If those are hard and crumbling, the motor MUST be dismantled and rewired before using.

If you are concerned about electrical safety, run a grounding wire to a large ring terminal connected to the motor mount screw. That way, if the machine shorts out and goes live, it will not use you as a path to ground.

As a electronic technician, I like crimp-on terminals over using bare wire- it means less wire is exposed and you don't have to fight with ensuring the wire is completely under a screw (never use stranded wire with a screw clamp). Just make sure you tug on the terminal after you crimp them on so you know it's secure.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:29 AM

From puffie 40 "
(never use stranded wire with a screw clamp).
"

I had never heard this before. Is that because loose strands can migrate? Risk of only getting a few strands under the screw? Thanks for this info.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
From puffie 40 "
(never use stranded wire with a screw clamp).
"

I had never heard this before. Is that because loose strands can migrate? Risk of only getting a few strands under the screw? Thanks for this info.
Correct on both points. If the wire frays during insertion, you risk arcing or shorting if a strand contacts another conductor. If only a few strands contact the screw, you effectivly reduce the contact surface of the wire, and the connection will heat up because more current has to pass through that spot.

The main way to avoid either problem is to use crimp-on terminals, or tin the bare wire with solder to effectively convert it into a solid piece of wire.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:15 PM

The copper showing is multiple thin strands from under the screw. I won't use it like that. My body has a weirdly strong electromagnetic field and electricity likes me too much.