Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How to know when to quit giving "quilty" items to friends and family? >

How to know when to quit giving "quilty" items to friends and family?

How to know when to quit giving "quilty" items to friends and family?

Old 05-06-2018, 08:52 AM
DJ

We recently had some friends who were moving at Christmas time. She is a Hospice volunteer. Rather than give them more stuff, I gave her two prayer/comfort shawls for her to pass along to Hospice "in their honor".

I make lots of stuff for friends and family, 'cause I usually have an idea of something they could use. This year, however, I really didn't have any ideas for DD's birthday, so she just got cash which I know she can spend.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:02 AM
Suz

Yes, to answer your question. Make her a bedrunner (similar to a table runner) to lay at the bottom of the bed just to be pretty and is not functional. Or make her a matching quilted toaster, food processor, or mixer (whatever small appliances she may have on the counter, or even a tea cozy. Or perhaps placemats w/matching table center mat. Does she have a mantle? Perhaps something that would hang over the front and at either end. I'm picturing something that may include crocheted doilies or some pretty hankies??? Hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:12 AM

There's a saying, "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." I think some of us are guilty of thinking gift = quilt, instead of asking ourselves, what would the recipient really want? Same with natural disasters, people lose their homes and everything and right away quilters want to send them quilts. Let them get homes set up first, quilts are a nice thought but they need so much more FIRST. Starting with cash, LOL.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:36 AM

I have learned many people do not have the love we have for quilts. With that in mind, I do not give quilts unless I know the recipient really likes or needs a quilt. So I'm at the stage in life where I have enough quilts and am kind of at a standstill. I have been making smaller projects but can only do so many of those. Am trying to use what I have and be creative but am running out of ideas for that also. Where we live there aren't a lot of choices for donating so that is where I am at with my quilting world. I may just do more donating of fabric so people who want to quilt can have it.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

I am careful about this too. Not everyone I know wants a quilted anything. I quilt for my own pleasure because I enjoy it. I keep most of my quilts. They will all be donated when my time comes.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:41 AM

I wonder, as popular as quilting is nowadays, if we are going to find quilts going the way of afghans. As popular as knit and crochet used to be, those afghans now don't command prices equal to the cost of the yarn, not to mention the time and talent to create them. Not everyone realizes the cost of making a quilt and therefore don't value it for that --it's only another blanket of sorts that can be purchased for much less at the local box store. I gift quilts only to those who will treasure them for the fact that they were made by me (mom, grandma, special friend). I even wonder sometimes about donations to charities as those recipients, too, may not realize the time and care put into the gift they are receiving. Is it "another blanket"? It does fill a need that we have though--gives an outlet for practice pieces or uses up excess stash and we hope they do enjoy the donation.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
There's a saying, "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail." I think some of us are guilty of thinking gift = quilt, instead of asking ourselves, what would the recipient really want?
LOL, this is so true! I must remind myself of it often!
Old 05-07-2018, 06:26 AM

Last year I made microwave bowl cozies for gifts. The recipients really liked them and have hinted they could use more. Our gifts can give pleasure and not be bed quilts.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:07 PM

I have turned to Quilts of Valor and the color theme is RED, WHITE, BLUE and GOLD
That makes things easy. I have been at several awards and it is hard not to tear up. I always get lots of hugs and kisses and that makes it all worth it to me. Not a single Vet has said they did not like the quilt.
I got the chance to visit one of the Vets that I had presented a quilt to and found it hanging on the Wall. When I asked he said that it was the only thing that he was presented after his service except his retirement papers. He was very proud of the quilt and his wife confirmed that he had to show it to all his friends.
I see the difference the quilts make in the lives of the Vets.
Jarenie
Old 05-07-2018, 01:27 PM

You definitely need to know your recipients. After spending a lot of time making some wintry-themed pillows for my daughter a couple years ago, I was shocked (and a little hurt) that she only kept them through one season and then donated them to a thrift store. I guess I expected she'd store them for the next season (as I would). I've come to appreciate that she doesn't feel the need for "stuff" in order to feel loved and thought about. She has seen what accumulation of crap looks like in my house after 30 years. She is trying to avoid it by regularly getting rid of stuff.

Knowing this, but not wanting to deprive her of something handmade from me if she wanted, I came right out and asked her if she'd like me to make a wedding quilt. (This was right after she was engaged in Nov. Her wedding is next month.) She thought about it and told me that she probably would not appreciate it to the degree of the work and money I'd put into it. Besides, she likes to change bedding every few years, and doesn't want to feel obligated to keep stuff just because someone (even her own dear, precious, thoughtful, amazing, wonderful) mother gave it to her.

Her perspective has truly helped me think about the relative value of "stuff."