Charity Giving -

Old 05-09-2018, 06:10 AM

A few years ago it was published in the local paper that the head of our local Goodwill made $100,000 a year. I no longer give to them. I give cash to a few places and I guess I need to check them out. They sold my name thus I have more memo pads, calendars and name stickers than I will ever use.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:07 AM

I only give cash to our local food bank and the Salvation Army. I get sick when I see how much goes to administrator salaries. I make quilts for our local Council On Aging (COA) who in turn donate them where needed.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

I had the back seat full of my clothes on hangers and went around to donate to ARC. they had those big 18 wheeler trucks and were tossing things into them . almost 3/4 full and tossing things on the top of that. looked like it was compacted like trash would be. I didn't leave them there. I was moving and really did not need all the clothes. No cash to give but clothing is usually needed by someone. somewhere. abused women, etc.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:45 PM

I donate quilts to Crisis Pregnancy Centers because I know the need to support and encourage mothers not to abort their children. ... for the mothers to understand that there are people who care about them and their children. I do check out the centers first and ask questions. I used to volunteer at one and do know the need.

And I give some to Linus, also.

One time, a church sponsored an immigrant family that had several small children. I donated kids quilts, and other items that I thought they would need. Months later I found out that the church had an attic sale and that's where the
quilts ended up. The family probably never even saw them. I just hope that someone who needed them and appreciated them got them.

Last edited by SillySusan; 05-09-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
Maybe it's just me but I'm leary of giving money to a lot of places since I don't know how much will be used for "administration costs."

Ah-men! You said it.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:11 PM

We donate to a local homeless shelter several times a year. We give gently used clothes, jackets, blankets and sheets.
The women's clothes we donate are nice enough for the ladies to wear to job interviews and/or work. The shelter houses mainly families who are in need. The parents have jobs but not enough to get into a home or apartment.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:44 AM

I always give money. Unfortunately many people give clothing and other items that just need to be thrown away.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:00 AM

Don't forget "Some" money is needed for administration costs. Within reason. This is where charity navigator and similar websites come in handy, they tell you what percentage goes for admin and fundraising costs. I doubt you will find a charity without either, if you do, it will probably be very small.

We also have a thrift store here with a big "Mountain O' Donations' in the receiving area. Let's face it, there are just waaaaaay too many clothes floating around and the vast majority of those that are donated get baled and sold overseas, or recycled for fiber. The only thing we can do about it is to stop buying so many new clothes.

Last edited by ptquilts; 05-10-2018 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:33 AM

I belong to a church group that help the homeless here in our town:4 S Outreach Ministries soup,socks,sandwiches and salvation.(there's about 800).we meet once a week at our shed (donated to us by a member) at church,and when we receive gift cards , we give them to other members of our church that we know are down and out ,or do a lot of deliveries for the neighborhood. I make bandanas in the summer for the homeless, another lady makes small back packs. but we have never been donated a quilt.I forgot to mention, we have a "food lot " downtown donated by the city, and have 40 churches that take turns with sandwiches, water ,etc and 2 clothing tables. so any donated fabric is put to good use.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:04 AM

We participate in a food pantry project that is a part of our church outreach on a monthly basis. They reach out to those in need in our community. They have a storehouse of goods that are given to people in need. I would never give them cast-off items because I was planning to buy a new one. Yes, I have seen the dumpsters at ARC but I have also seen the cast-offs people gave them that needed to be thrown away to begin with. I also sew one day a week for a craft-boutique group to raise money for the local crises pregnancy center. It is open to the public and all of the money goes to support the center. I never give to phone callers because of the 'administrative costs' which is frequently half of the proceeds.