Why Featherweights?

Old 02-16-2010, 07:02 AM

Sounds like finding a FW is a real challenge and one worth taking on.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:15 AM

I can't believe that 40 yrs ago I turned my nose up at these little cuties. I don't know what I was thinking?? Do others have these momenets? Anyway I found one at a Garage Sale. My kids think I am cockoo because I have 6 machines. My new Bernina, a Janome, the singer DH gave me, Great Gran's treadle, an antiquie thing (that doesn't work) and the little FW. When the subject of too many sewing machines come up I remind them that their father had 3 tractors and they cost a whole lot more then my sewing machines. LOL
Old 02-16-2010, 07:57 AM

I agree with everyone on the usefulness of having a FW to take to classes and traveling. I too have one, take it to our pigeon conventions and sit in the room and sew for three days while he is doing his pigeon thing. Bought it for just that purpose. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything. I didn't get mine because it was cute, I got mine because it was light and easy to take along and knew they were a work horse. My work horse weighs to much to take along anywhere unless of course you want a broken back. I also have another older machine that my son gave me that is in the same age group. It sews just like the FW but its in a case and weighs a lot more so couldn't even take it from the case and take it along. Ugg. They are well worth the money or if they are free even better. I love mine.

Rita
Old 02-16-2010, 08:28 AM

I too learned on my late mother's 1947 FW, which I now have. I even have the original receipt... $49.00.

I like it mainly (for piecing) because the feed dogs are longer (than my "new" 1969 Singer) and grab the material easily to begin sewing. It's quiet; it hums; it sews evenly. I had one tiny problem with the bobbin placement, but it was fixed (by a professional) within a minute!

To me this one is PRICELE$$ and will go to my DGD someday.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by cpfrog
I too learned on my late mother's 1947 FW, which I now have. I even have the original receipt... $49.00.

I like it mainly (for piecing) because the feed dogs are longer (than my "new" 1969 Singer) and grab the material easily to begin sewing. It's quiet; it hums; it sews evenly. I had one tiny problem with the bobbin placement, but it was fixed (by a professional) within a minute!

To me this one is PRICELE$$ and will go to my DGD someday.
What a great memory. I love the feed dogs on the FW.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:57 AM

My DH bought one for me for Christmas '08. He bought the Centennial FW. I just love it!!!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:05 PM

I bought one at an estate sale and they wanted $450. I put in a bid for $250 and they called me on Sunday night and said I got it. (Of course wished I had bid lower then!) So on Monday morning I went to pick it up and couldn't find the house again!!!! You should have heard me calling my girlfriend whom I had been with trying to talk me there.
Needless to say I found it again. (If not I would probably still be driving around there months later!) I do like my machine. It's from 1938 and has a scroll pattern on the side. That's part of how you tell the age. There is a book on them that's very informative. It is a work horse but I've only use it once or twice. It did need a new light but that was it and the local sewing store stocked it.
My girlfriend from guild has one that her engineering son took apart and painted purple! It's too cute.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:21 PM

My hubby snatched mine just before it was dumped into the garbage destroyer thingy. It was in its carrying case with a number of attachments. Inherited my second one from my DMIL on her passing. Right now they both need to go in for a checkup.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:38 PM

I hunted for a FW for years - they are very hard to find in AZ - as most people won't part with them. They sew wonderfully and I too love the 'sound' they make, it's soothing.

I found mine at an Estate Sale - I got to the sale at 5AM in order to be sure I was the first in the door - they hand out numbers at 6 AM and the sale started at 7AM. I walked in and said "that's mine!". I got a great deal $150.00, most of the FW's here in town go for $350 and up. My FW appears to have been in AZ most of it's life as the case is perfect, no moldy smells and the key was with it. I understand a lot of the cases are missing the key, so this was an added plus for me.

I use it for piecing and the stitch is perfect and super easy to care for. Mine is from 1938 (72 she is!) and still going strong.

DH has strict instructions to pass along to my granddaughter. She's 10 and loves it because "it's cute and small enough for her little hands", a great machine to teach on!

I'm looking for a green one now ;)
Old 02-16-2010, 01:04 PM

They are such a joy to sew on. My Mom is 94 and my FW belonged to her Mom so I guess mine must be around 75 years old. Other than having it cleaned periodically, it's never had a single repair. And I agree with some of the others, they're just so darn cute. Compared to my Bernina, it's like the VW Beatle and a Cadillac...both workhorses.