Holidays -

Old 05-13-2018, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight View Post
I have got to the point that I almost hate all of the holidays. Use to love Christmas, then the g-kids came. DIL has ruined all that. We have to chose gifts from a list that she has approved of. She gets first choice, her mother second and we are last. You guessed it, the hardest if not impossible to get gifts. Enough said.
Our now ex-daughter in law used to email family members mid November with a list of what the grandkids wanted.
Of course it was always the new expensive latest things out she sent in our email.
I would reply with their things were on layaway already. And asked if any of the relatives thought her email was tacky like we did.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:18 PM

I love holidays and love to decorate especially for Christmas . I was blessed to have my 19 year old grandson come for Christmas and he asked if he could bring a friend, Of couse all are welcome he drove over 300 miles to see us! he and his friend also came for Easter and his friend (just a buddy not a girl)told me the food was awesome and that he never had a grandma that cooked like that. I believe he was abused as a child from what I can pick up and he really has no family. I had a housefull but loved it. not all my kids are close but the ones that are stop over and the others all call on holidays.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

My kids have all moved 3.5 hours away but we still try to get together for Christmas and Thanksgiving. No grandkids yet.

I do love Christmas, but not the gifts. They are a source of stress... both in figuring out what to give and in receiving, when I don't really need or want a thing. I love Thanksgiving because it's like Christmas without the gifts. Perfect.

There are too many holidays. Every time you turn around it's time for another one! I have no use for Valentine's Day, and my Dad always taught me that Mother's Day and Father's Day were the invention of Hallmark, so they could sell more cards and gifts. It's true. So many of the smaller holidays are just an inconvenience because the banks are closed and there's no mail service those days. I guess I'm a Grinch for those holidays.

Fourth of July is great, except there aren't the community celebrations like there used to be.... which is too bad. I love seeing July 4th celebrations of old in the movies.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight View Post
I have got to the point that I almost hate all of the holidays. Use to love Christmas, then the g-kids came. DIL has ruined all that. We have to chose gifts from a list that she has approved of. She gets first choice, her mother second and we are last. You guessed it, the hardest if not impossible to get gifts. Enough said.
How about giving them a gift of an experience? Scenic train ride, tickets to Nutcracker, trip to zoo or amusement park or sports event? Of course it would be JUST the GK's and GP's.... let the parents stay home.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:29 AM

They are all just ordinary days. The only day I look forward to is the Winter Solstice because I know it will soon be Spring and the daylight hours get longer.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:03 AM

For the most part I love holidays. Yes, I miss family that are either gone or 3000 miles away. I don’t have children yet the child inside me still sees the joy in holiday preparations. Christmas is my favorite time and I decorate all out - even if it’s only me, my DH, and the dog. Lol Christmas was my mother’s favorite holiday and I have a special little tree honoring her memory plus three other trees throughout the house.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:04 AM

I love the holidays and I love all of the memories from ones in the past. I have lost my husband, parents, sister and brother but I love remembering. I still have my children, niece and nephew and grandchildren though most are far away. I no longer have 25 for dinner but I invite friends. I am lucky in that I do not suffer from depression and I think it is because I stay busy. Our favorite holiday is Thanksgiving because we are thankful. I decorate for Christmas but give only to the kids. We adopt families and donate. We don't need anything and it got to hard to shop and ship. We still celebrate birthdays with presents..I usually get certificates from a fabric stores which I love!
Old 05-14-2018, 06:05 AM

Other than Christmas, my family doesn't really celebrate most holidays, but I do try to get my mom and dad something for Mother's/Father's Day, and a little something for their birthdays. DH's family sends their wishes over the phone, with no gifts involved.

Christmas with both of our families used to be huge events, with a big dinner, pricey gifts for immediate family, and additional gifts for extended family. It was overwhelming, to be honest. How do you choose an appropriate gift for people you only see once a year, and how is an average person supposed to afford all of that? Whew! Thankfully the gift-giving and elaborate dinners have dwindled down over time. I like seeing everybody and catching up, but I also like keeping things simple!
Old 05-14-2018, 06:17 AM

This is a very interesting thread. I used to love the holidays as well, even the shopping. lol Then came the daughter in laws. So I can relate. The good news is that I have adjusted my mind set on what the holidays should or should not be and I go with the flow. But I must admit, I don't feel the joy that I used to have when my kids were all at home. It might just be part of getting older ? Like not being able to see and / or hear as well as I used to be able to etc ? The only constant in life is change.... and holiday festivities, or lack thereof, is just one of those changes one has to accept. As the Good Book says: For everything, there is a season..... My mantra: It's all good !
Old 05-14-2018, 06:35 AM

I used to love the holidays. Since getting married and having contact with the "outlaws", I'm not really a fan and just wish I could have a few days off work without all the other stuff.

When husband's dad and stepmom moved back here 10 or 12 years ago, I did Thanksgiving and Christmas every year. They never offered to have it at their house or take us out. They are both retired and I'm still working full time. I just got tired of spending all my time off doing a meal for people who never reciprocated in any way so I finally just said "They can do the next holiday. I'll do the one after" That was several years ago and we haven't gotten together since. I really like it better. A nice quiet holiday. I even get to do a bit of sewing before I have to go back to work.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 05-14-2018 at 06:42 AM.