Downgrading -

Old 05-14-2018, 02:31 PM

At least she can get her sister to embroider something for her. Embroidery is like watching paint dry Stitch and wait...stitch and wait.

I am still learning features on my newest machine but love all the bells and whistles. I debated about selling one of the machines when upgrading but decided to keep all of them.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I have a Bernina 440 in the quilting room upstairs, and I love using it. But I've made the last few quilts on a vintage Singer 301 sitting on the downstairs table. I'll get back to using the Bernina, but for now I'm enjoying the 301.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:43 PM

When I was getting ready to retire I bought the Janome MC6600 P - it has a lot of wonderful stitches and I have tried out a lot of them. I grew up using a basic Singer - and I have the machine and love it - but I wanted one that could do more. And it is wonderful. But I saw the Viking/Husqvarna Designer Topez 20 sewing and embroidery machine - my dealer made me such a deal I couldn't resist and I an so glad I bought it. I don't know why anyone would say the embroidery is boring - I love finding designs, using them in pillow cases, dish towels, hand towels, beach towels and quilts. And all the wonderful colors of thread! I have done some T-shirts and some sweat shirts - but not as a rule. I also use mine to make book marks for my daughter's students and also little egg holder at Easter for them. It's been 5 years now and I am still having fun. I let me friends come over and use it too.

When I bought my Janome I wanted a quality machine and some extras that I never had before, I didn't look into anything more because I couldn't see myself growing - after all my days sewing clothes were over. But I love to make quilts and pillow cases. I didn't want to trade in my Janome when I got my Designer - I wanted both. Guess I could have bought a stand alone embroidery machine like my friend did - but I like that the Designer can fill in if the Janome needs to go to the "Sewing Machine Doctor."
Old 05-14-2018, 05:20 PM

Some of you will have a chuckle over this. Around 1980 I saved up for a "fancy" sewing machine. It had 11 stitches which included some stretch stitches as well as some to finish raw edges. In the 34 years that I owned it, I used three on a regular basis. Some of the stitches I never used at all.

A couple of years before some gears crumpled in the fancy machine, my mil's 1948 Singer 15-91 was past down to me. I love how it sews and it started my love for vintage sewing machines. I replaced the "fancy" machine with three vintage sewing machines. The straight stitching Singer 15-91, a simple straight stitch and zig zag 1965 Kenmore 50 and 1990's(?) JC Penney 6923 that I use for the stretch stitches.
I've been very happy with "downgrading" to the vintage machines and do not feel the need to upgrade.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:26 AM

I have the Janome MC6500P....with 4 different modes that include 80 different stitches plus over 200 alphabet design stitches. What do I use ?....straight stitch, zig-zag, and the blanket stitch. It's a good machine, but what made me think I would use this other stuff? I must have been delusional.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:31 AM

I bought a Babylock Ellegante sewing/embroidery machine 11 years ago using money from my husband's life insurance policy to pay for it. I was only 54 when my husband passed away and needed something to help fill the void and help me through the grieving process. I have used most of the "bells and whistles" and still love it. The only thing I regret is that I wish I had bought a stand alone embroidery machine AND a computerized sewing machine instead of an all-in-one. That way I could piece quilts on one machine while embroider on the other at the same time. Two years ago I bought a Babylock Sofia sewing/embroidery machine. Smaller and not as many bells and whistles, but more portable. Great for taking to classes, camping, and to take to Florida to our winter home.

Last edited by janjanq; 05-15-2018 at 05:38 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:12 AM

I have 3 machines: a featherweight, a 1958 Singer 401A, and a Viking computerized machine bought in 1988 (?). I use them all. My 401A is my go-to machine and it has been a work horse; I have made awnings, car seat covers for a VW, you name it. I took a Stretch and Sew Class and made dozens of T-shirts for my kids. My GD # 2 lives on a boat and she will get the featherweight this summer. At 82, I don't need all these machines. I still do repair stuff; just don't sew new stuff now.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:11 AM

At 83, less is better.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:59 PM

I also have a Bernina 440 with extra feet,the quilting doo hickey etc. It’s a fine,lonely machine.Wish I had realized my interest in sewing/quilting was winding down. No other quilters in our small family,but I don’t worry about it.
Some day,someone else will love it.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:04 PM

The only 'fancy' feature that I would really like to add to my sewing machines is an automatic thread cutter. If I see a machine on sale for a price I can bring myself to pay AND it has the automatic thread cutter, it's mine!