Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question for Longarm Quilters >
  • Question for Longarm Quilters

• Question for Longarm Quilters

Old 05-17-2018, 08:55 PM
    Gay

I would take it back and give the LAer the opportunity to fix it. Maybe she noticed it and maybe not - stuff happens sometimes, no matter how careful we are, but if she\he refuses to fix the problem my quilts would go elsewhere in the future.
    Old 05-17-2018, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by pewa88
    Yes, I check the back many times during the quilting process. In fact everytime the quilt is rolled. I also use side clamps to keep tension on the backing. The quilter needs to be told that you were not satisfied.
    This is what I do and as the quilt is rolled on the frame I tug plus run my hands from the center out on both sides.
    I would also take a picture to show her . . . If she is reputable I would give some money back and/or offer a free quilting for another quilt. She can't learn from her mistakes if she doesn't know about them.
    Old 05-17-2018, 11:20 PM

I think you should have the LA'er do all the repair. Let her know immediately. You paid her so she should provide a good product. There should be no extra cost to you for the repair.
    Old 05-18-2018, 12:31 AM

I agree with all the above comments.
    This quilt you describe should not have gone home in that kind of condition. That is not acceptable.
    Old 05-18-2018, 03:59 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by AliKat
    I think you should have the LA'er do all the repair. Let her know immediately. You paid her so she should provide a good product. There should be no extra cost to you for the repair.
    I agree with Ali. If I were the quilter I would want to see it in person, not just a photo. The least she should do is un-pick it for you! I guess this is a good time to emphasize that you should plan on spending some time with the long armer when you drop the quilt off to discuss exactly what you want, and also when you pick it up. YOu should examine both the front & back before you pay.
    Old 05-18-2018, 04:25 AM

Thanks again for your help.

Please let me add clarification about the wrinkle. The longarmer pointed out the wrinkle to me when I picked up the quilt. It looked like it could be tacked down with matching thread and be OK.

My backing was square and pressed. It had 5 inches on each side to allow for the extra fabric needed. My quilt was also square. The quilter had previously quilted a friend's quilt (same embroidery design and similar fabrics) and it looked nice.

Thank you again for your experience and help. This is truly a lesson for me in my personal quilting journey and a small glitch in the life of quilting.
    Old 05-18-2018, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat
    I’m a newcomer to having a long arm but I check everything constantly.
    Old 05-18-2018, 04:44 AM

Hard to believe a professional quilter would make mistakes such as this and not rectify it before sending it back to you. I would be so upset that she didn't check the back as she went along.....I mean she had to see it as she rolled the take up bar!! I would ask for a partial refund and tell her why you have to have the problem fixed and that someone else will be getting paid to repair the problem she caused.
    Old 05-18-2018, 05:07 AM

Yes I'm sure a refund will be issued without questions or reservations when I see the quilter. I'm dealing with UNquilting myself and saying I'm just adding a little more love into the quilt.
    Old 05-18-2018, 05:58 AM

yes , backing should be checked each time you roll the quilt. she should give you your money back .

She shouldn't have given it to you that way to begin with. ( good luck )