Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--May 25-28, 2018 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--May 25-28, 2018

Virtual Quilting Weekend--May 25-28, 2018

Old 05-27-2018, 09:33 PM

Today I worked on my 9-patches. I’m using scraps and I was only able to finish 9 out of 100 blocks needed. I have several strip sets cut, just need to iron them and spend several hours tomorrow cutting and sewing into 9-patches. I also picked out more fabric combinations just in case I don’t have enough blocks. I have one set of my star blocks 1/2 done. Tomorrow is sort out fabric and sew the second set. Then i’m Completely done with my 5 sets. I washed my r/w/b fabric so I can start cutting and sewing my blocks sets for this swap. I also picked out my 5 different patterns. I don’t think I will get to sewing them tomorrow.

I’m enjoying seeing eveyone’s Finished projects. I’ll check again tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:46 AM

Good morning all! I got the strips cut for the blazing Lemoyne star class I'm taking Thursday. I might make some of the regular lemoynes today. You all have been busy this weekend! It's so much fun to read through all the comments and see what everyone has been working on.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:23 AM

There are some beautiful tops & finishes on here! Wow-the colors & intricate blocks are a treat to view. I got little sewing done on Saturday. I rode my Harley out to visit a friend in a nearby town & take her the quilted wall hanging I made for her 60th birthday. I spent some time with her then I took the scenic route home. I couldn’t just go there & come home! It was 95 & humid so I was hot & tired when I got home.
But Sunday I pulled out the sandwiched Final Frontier & started FMQing it. I put that off because I couldn’t find the darning plate for my Brother. I finally found it when I sorted through some yarn to gift to my knit/crochet group! Why it was in there is a mystery. I got about 7/8 of it quilted. Fittingly, I had Star Trek: The Original Series playing on Amazon Prime while sewing. This is my first big project using FMQ, & it’s going well. I had to make myself let go & just sew as the spirit moved me. I’ve always done straight-line quilting on bigger projects, but admired FMQ on others’ quilts. So this weekend has liberated me, fittingly, from self-imposed rigidity.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Conchalea, glad to hear you jumped into the world of fmq! It's so much fun and you just get better and better at it, the more you do.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:17 AM

Spent Saturday putting in some plants. I still have 10 more to put in. Sunday was church and then a visit to the nursing home to give out Communion.

I sat down last night and started seeing the rows together for a mystery quilt I have been working on.

This morning so far I did two more row. I have 5 left to do.

Back to sewing
Old 05-28-2018, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

This is a close up of "Converging Streets". I found a nice heart online and made two templates, one smaller than the other. The little vine in the sashing came from one I had bought. I used a medium grey thread for that so it would show up nicely. It is coming along just fine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5771.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	595046  
Old 05-28-2018, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

That's a beautiful quilt, Boston... and wow, you are fast at hand quilting. I wish mine looked that pretty.

I finished a 10+ year old UFO last night. Will try to get a picture later today after I get home from work. Yes, I have to work today... but it's only teaching an exercise class at the gym. Then I'll be back to the house.

A peaceful and reflective Memorial Day to you all... Remember those who have gone before us, and especially the families of those who passed fighting for our freedom.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I have enjoyed seeing the pretty quilts, and blocks you folks are making.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:45 AM

made over 50 string blocks so far. Ah, now some assembly....
Old 05-28-2018, 08:26 AM

not sure how much quilting I'll get done today. My FIL showed up yesterday with 2 hours notice. He's here with his RV, and plans on staying a few days. We knew he had plans of coming north to visit friends and possibly swing west to visit us, but did not even know that he was already on the road.

But I did finish up the quilting on the Ringo Lake quilt, and even got the last of the planting done in the garden. I was so looking forward to a day with my sewing machine . . . before getting back to work tomorrow.