Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Kits, Is there a Difference? >

Quilt Kits, Is there a Difference?

Quilt Kits, Is there a Difference?

Old 06-05-2018, 03:56 AM

I purchased 2 quilt kits from Craftsy just minutes ago at a great price - a lot less than I would have to pay for the fabrics individually. My experience with them has been very good. In the past, I had one kit that was short on fabric (just 1 jelly roll when 2 were promised), so I immediately contacted customer service and I received a very nice apology along with immediate shipment of the second jelly roll. I usually buy kits to add to my stash of fabrics, not to actually make the kit quilt.

I had another experience at a LQS that was not promising. I had selected some fabric on a bolt, but the bolt didn't have the full amount I needed, so the clerk just went to one of their kits and removed the fabric from the kit. When I protested, I was told that they would just put another fabric into the kit to replace it. Obviously the kit would then be different than what was intended. I've never been back to that shop.

Last edited by ArtsyOne; 06-05-2018 at 03:59 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:21 AM

I'd say be SURE that if you encounter an issue; like you're short a fabric or not enough of what was supposed to be in it, that they will make it 'right' and not quibble with you about it. My mom bought one from a local quilt store and it was short fabric and they wouldn't make it right, so be careful. I've bought a few kits from mostly my local quilt shop and i know them so haven't had an issue but I know people have. Good luck. We as usual - want pics!
Old 06-05-2018, 06:57 AM

I just purchased some nice kits from Craftsy on sale and they do have nice kits. I like to have them on hand and the fabric can be used for other quilts as well. One of the kits with backing was only 76.00 and there are a total of 22 yards of fabric.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:46 PM

I have shopped from MSQC, Connecting Threads, Fat Quarter shop and Jordan's with no problem with their quality of fabric in their kits. I usually add to my scrap container with all of them. Good luck with whatever you decide to do and don't forget to post pics!
Old 06-06-2018, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Donnamarie View Post
I order lots of kits from Missouri Star Company and Connecting Threads. I have had great luck with both companies. Try them, they also have lots of sales and daily deals. Good luck
I've been told that these 2 companies are also generous with their fabric cuts, so you don't have to worry about
running short.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:15 AM

I recommend that whoever you purchase your kit from … open it immediately and check your yardage. I know friends that have waited for "years" to finally get started on a kit and find missing or a shortage of fabric and it is too late to purchase more of that line.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:31 AM

Red face Thank You!

I would like to thank each of you for responding to my question. You have all been very helpful and gave me lots of information to think on and ask before I purchase. I appreciate you taking time out of your day and helping me. Some days we need all the help we can get or at least I do.

Carol