Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Organizing Embroidery Files >

Organizing Embroidery Files

Organizing Embroidery Files

Old 06-10-2018, 10:03 AM

Default Organizing Embroidery Files

What is the best way that you have found to keep your embroidery files organized both on your computer and on your USB stick? Do you make categories--manufacturer or topic or other? Do you include photos when possible? And how do you organize and file any printouts that come with the embroidery?

I am just starting to get embroidery downloads or on CD's and I can see a very big problem starting to develop!!! Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:43 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of EMB!

Do you have any software? If you open the design in the software, you can see the design. My PC doesn't open any designs with pics except the PDF. I go through the software for EMB or the PDF file.

First, think how you think. How are you going to "think" to look for a file? I do categorize by vendor first and then in alpha order. When you download the file it is usually in a Zip format. I delete that file after the files are "extracted".

I keep notebooks. The Embroidery Library is just the receipt for the order so I can go through as needed. Those files I record in a EMB Library folder. Then by design in alpha order. I rename them and include File Name- PAK (if it is a set) and the number at end. This way is all sorted in alpha order.

Anita Good Designs are sorted in Alpha order by the years. I'm on year 5 of designs. I kept the catalogs from events and keep those in notebooks. When I make one of the quilts, I print the PDF color files and make notes of any color changes.

Other vendors such as Kreative Kiwi, Sweet Pea, Hatched in Africa, Jenny Haskins are in alpha order.

You may want to add FSL (free standing lace) or ITH (in-the-hoop) at the end of files. You will know right away what types of designs they are.

I can always do a search by file names for any design. I only keep PES for BL/Brother machines. No need to keep the others.

Designs are kept on a separate passport drive. Some of the special one are kept on the PC.

You can also make master lists in excel. It really doesn't take long if you start from the beginning. I wouldn't want to search 1,000s of designs if they weren't organized

A few more tips for you.

https://www.emblibrary.com/EL/ELProj...oductid=PR1735

PS: I only load a few designs on the USB that goes into machine. Easier to find the design. Label the USB as working and it's the one that goes into machine.

Hope that helps! Rhonda K.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:21 PM

I have been embroidering since the mid 90's and have been collecting designs all along. I couldn't manage without Buzz Tools to organize and view my files. It is a great program in my opinion but then again, it is the only one I have ever used. There are other programs out there too and you hear about them I am sure. If you are going to purchase that type of program, just research as many as you can and find the right fit for your needs.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:45 PM
Banned

After I've unzipped a purchased file, I put the original zipped file in a master folder called 'Embroidery Originals'. That way if any of the designs ever get corrupted I still have it. My embroidery designs then are put in another master folder with sub folders by category(birds, butterflies, kitchen towel designs, etc)or by designers name or place purchased if I have a bunch of them(Urban Threads, Kreations By Kara, Loralie, etc.).

Cari
Old 06-11-2018, 04:59 AM

I'm still trying to figure this out too. I started putting them in folders by category (animals, birds, etc.) but some where along the line some didn't get put in the proper folders. I really need to take the time to re-organize my designs but it will be a monumental task. I'm hoping someone will have a good solution to organizing.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:12 AM

I have used the free organizer from https://www.secretsof.com/content/608 free organizer folder since I started emb (in 1991, I think), It contains category folders and I add folders and sub folders. I do find that my brain sometimes can't decide what category a design is..so of course I have folders labeled Misc #..etc.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:13 AM

Thanks--I will look into this.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:16 AM

Thanks everyone--I see I have lots of homework to do! Keep your ideas coming!
Old 06-11-2018, 05:22 AM

All of the suggestions so far are great, I got a dropbox account (free) to put all my designs in.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:02 PM

for what it is worth, I attended an embroidery class 2 weeks ago and the teacher [which owns 7] embroidery machines suggestion is this: Buy only small USB sticks. If you put many many files on them the machine will read each file before it comes to the design you want and could take a L-o-n-g time.