Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tearing fabric to straighten it >

Tearing fabric to straighten it

Tearing fabric to straighten it

Old 06-10-2018, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
What are digital prints? what are "other" prints? How are they different from each other?
An innovation in the fabric printing process.. Rather than traditional screen-printing with one 'pass' for each color, it has created a means to digitally print on fabric, thus unleashing every color in the spectrum. The results are exquisite - crisp, vibrant prints with incredible detail.
The colors are so deep and detailed. It's going to be hard to give this quilt up and I'm no longer a horse fan. I love them, but not enough to own a quilt with horses on it.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
To find straight of grain pull a thread under you can pull it the length of your piece of fabric. It has no givr if straight of grain. I was taught this in Home Ec. years ago.
My mom taught me that same back in the day (WAY back) and we did that in home ec class. It works really well with less damage to edge of the fabric.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:57 PM

If I am starting with a piece that is over 1/2 yard, I'm likely to tear it. Whether I am straightening an edge through tearing, or through sliding the selvage and using an acrylic ruler & rotary cutter, I will be cutting some off. I much prefer using the true straight of grain whenever possible. There is a lot less raveling of seam edges on the back of the quilt - and that saves me time trimming them all up before taking it to be quilted.

What I can't wrap my head around is how fabric that is torn, or has a thread pulled, to straighten it can have the selvages not match, or even be close to matching. I did some a few days ago (I think Robert Kaufmann, but am not sure now) that was off by quite a bit, there was no pulling it back into being straight both by the torn grainline and the selvage at the same time.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:27 PM

I tear to straighten the grain, especially when sewing clothing.

When I was in the Paris fabric district last month yardage was snipped and ripped. The shops did not really have cutting tables. The clerks had metre sticks, unrolled and measured the cloth on top of the other bolts.

I would rather a shop snip and rip, than cut off grain.