Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 1600P Quilter Help >

Janome 1600P Quilter Help

Janome 1600P Quilter Help

Old 06-25-2018, 09:58 PM

Hello - I am new to this system and have a Janome 1600p db machine - from 2012. My question is what thread is the best one to use. What kind of prewound bobbins - (I hear they are better than winding yourself ) My new to me machine is in for a service before I start using and I won't get it back until July 5. So I am quickly trying to get what I need to begin when I get it home. I also purchase a b-line Quilt Frame and the computer module that is a stitch regulator. I am excited to practice and quilt my own small quilts! Would love to hear of others with their success and advice - I have copied information that has already be written here and now just trying to find out about bobbins. I did hear that it is better to use size 40 or 50 thread - but wasn't sure if it should be poly cotton or just cotton. I was told that each brand of machine can work better with a particular brand of thread. I know this thread was started several months ago....however, would still love any feedback to help me with my journey!

Thanks so much for taking the time!
Old 06-26-2018, 02:54 AM

Hello,

I have found that "Glide" - a 40wt trilobal polyester thread by Fil-Tec - works brilliantly for most of my FMQ. It is very strong (so no thread breaks), very little lint, and has a lovely sheen. Gorgeous colours too! I have never used prewound bobbins but have had no problem with ones I have wound myself.
I have also completed some small wholecloth quilts on silk and for these I have found Superior Threads "Kimono Silk" to be an absolute joy. This is a very fine 100wt silk thread which just disappears into the fabric. When using this thread I used "Bottom Line" in the bobbin (this is a 60wt polyester thread also by Superior Threads) and the combination has been fantastic. When using the silk thread I adjusted the bobbin tension slightly and used a finer needle.
I have found the 1600p to be very amenable to different thread weights and an absolute pleasure to use. Have fun!
Old 06-13-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I have that machine and the feed dogs don't drop, so in order to quilt on it, I have to put a special high/tall needle plate on. It prevents the feed dogs pulling on the fabric. Maybe this is the cause of the issue you're having?
My Janome 1600P came with a plate that sits right on top of the feed dogs. There are two notches on the machine and the plate has two little bumps that fit right into those notches. This keeps the fabric from coming in contact with the feed dogs, therefore, the fabric only moves where you move it. I have owned 3 of these machines and they all came with this plate. Hope it helps and if you need more info just let me know.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-13-2020 at 02:08 PM. Reason: fix quote formatting