Is This a 15-91?

Old 06-26-2018, 07:52 AM

The wiring could be bad. My 1948 American made 15-91 needs rewiring from the motor to the plug. It was in storage for many years in Texas, so the plastic covering on the wires appears to be partially melted. Look for places where the bare wires are showing. My Canadian 15-91 has the original wiring and is still in good condition. I coudln't find the serial number in Singers' databases, either.

It's unlikely the motor is bad. What would make the motor go bad is extensive use. Use wears down the "innards" of the motor. The parts are not expensive, but the labor might be. Your decals are still pristine, so it's unlikely that the machine has seen a lot of use. (On well used machines, the decals are usually worn in the front where you push the fabric through.)

It's also unlikely that it is out of time. Most of these old black machines are idiot proof. If they are not rusty, they will almost always work.

The wire to the wall and the wire to the foot pedal are connected. So, it would be unusual to have the pedal and not the wall plug. However, it would save money if you have the original pedal/controller. Here's what the original would look like. lLINK Non-original replacements are less expensive.

Good luck.

bkay
Old 06-26-2018, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Knee controls rarely show up in the pics. one has to get low to shoot it.

alas, a turning handwheel gives hope, but not a guarantee about the motor. It still could need brushes, have broken wires, etc.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I have done some work on my 201-2 so I think I could handle most things. It might still be worth looking into.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by WIChix View Post
Leon, thanks for clarifying.
Timing could be off, as well. These old machines have a lot to offer, and the one in your photo appears gently used.
The knee lever is hinged, and it is often tucked up when not in use.
Oh, I didn't realize that the lever is tucked up when not in use. I think I will have to go check it out! Thanks!
Old 06-26-2018, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
The wiring could be bad. My 1948 American made 15-91 needs rewiring from the motor to the plug. It was in storage for many years in Texas, so the plastic covering on the wires appears to be partially melted. Look for places where the bare wires are showing. My Canadian 15-91 has the original wiring and is still in good condition. I coudln't find the serial number in Singers' databases, either.

It's unlikely the motor is bad. What would make the motor go bad is extensive use. Use wears down the "innards" of the motor. The parts are not expensive, but the labor might be. Your decals are still pristine, so it's unlikely that the machine has seen a lot of use. (On well used machines, the decals are usually worn in the front where you push the fabric through.)

It's also unlikely that it is out of time. Most of these old black machines are idiot proof. If they are not rusty, they will almost always work.

The wire to the wall and the wire to the foot pedal are connected. So, it would be unusual to have the pedal and not the wall plug. However, it would save money if you have the original pedal/controller. Here's what the original would look like. lLINK Non-original replacements are less expensive.

Good luck.

bkay
Thank you, bkay. I do still have the original foot pedal from my 201-2. I put on a new one for a little extra control while quilting. I really would like the 15-91 for free motion quilting. I can do it with the 201-2, but it's my understanding that the 15-91 is so much better at it! I am new to FMQ.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:05 PM

The drop-in bobbin of the 201 means the thread takes a 90-degree turn at the needle, and people say that can cause a problem with FMQ. (The 15 bobbin is mounted vertically, so the thread travels in a straight line.) I can't confirm or deny this claim; I've only done a little FMQ. I can, however, vouch for the 15 as a user-friendly machine. Thread capacity is a wee bit better, too - fewer bobbin changes when doing FMQ.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
The drop-in bobbin of the 201 means the thread takes a 90-degree turn at the needle, and people say that can cause a problem with FMQ. (The 15 bobbin is mounted vertically, so the thread travels in a straight line.) I can't confirm or deny this claim; I've only done a little FMQ. I can, however, vouch for the 15 as a user-friendly machine. Thread capacity is a wee bit better, too - fewer bobbin changes when doing FMQ.
Thanks for the clarification, Manalto. I forgot that the 15 takes a 15 bobbin.