Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bucket List Question >

Bucket List Question

Bucket List Question

Old 06-30-2018, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I've always wanted a Storm at Sea quilt. so, i'm making it now a king size, English Paper Piecing, as if it's not a pain to do already. I'm doing it in aquas and blues. I saw it on pintrest and fell in love with it my dh wants me now to hand quilt it. he doesn't like the feel of machine quilted. I just found this out after I paid $500 to have a quilt quilted. oh, and a double wedding ring too. don't know what colors yet. maybe 30's
If my DH said he wanted a king size quilt hand-quilted, I would hand him a spool of thread and a needle, say “keep the stitches even lengths, I will be back when you’re finished”, and then go visit my BFF (who live 500 miles away). So much tidier than simple murder.

Last edited by JakesMama; 06-30-2018 at 05:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-30-2018, 07:33 AM

I have a life bucket list, floating around my noggin. For quilts, I save inspiration quilts to a variety of Pinterest Boards.

If something really7 catches my eye, or I know who would love it, I buy the supplies, print off the pattern and put everything (except backing and binding) in a scrapbooking tote. I then have everything ready to go when I have time to work on it. I wash yardage (not precuts) and make sure the yardage is washed and ready to go too.

I currently have about 10 'kits' ready to go. That is about a two year supply for me.

I watched Jenny Doan's Tutorial for the North Star Quilt last week. I bought the supplies for it and it is on the top of my list. My Dad would love it and he is 89 and getting frail, so I cannot afford to wait. I hope to have it done by August.

For life bucket list, I plan to drive across Canada next Summer, once I graduate from University. I am not sure if I will buy a small motor home or travel trailer, or tent and use motels along the way. I may dip into New England to visit family in NH and on Cape Cod.

If I do not do that, I plan to go on a textile tour to either Morocco or India.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I have a bucket, but not a list. Mine is a directory on my computer with saved pictures and files. Sometimes I browse through and select what catches my eye. And if I've saved something and it never catches my eye when I'm reviewing, that is fine.
Ditto. Saved pictures and screen shots. Sometimes I’ve saved a screen shot of a quilt with where to find it later (like Jenny on YouTube). Sometimes it’s a photo of anything that has inspired me, like the trim to a Native American dress at a museum. And frequently a screen shot of a post here on quilting board. And I have actually gone back through when searching for ideas. Most recently, boxy stars by Bonnie Hunter for a table runner.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have a pattern file for ideas if I lose my sewjo. In that pattern file I just have one on my bucket list which is Labyrinth Walk.
That's the one on my list that I haven't tackled yet...I've pieced several 3D tops (yet to be quilted) but haven't had the nerve to tackle Labyrinth Walk. Soon though.....soon......
Old 06-30-2018, 11:17 AM

I take the pattern and fabric I want to use and put them in a large plastic bag to have ready when I want to use them. My problem is to make up my mind the one to use next.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:51 PM

I think we all have bucket lists either in our minds or written down...the question is how many in that bucket get done.
I have a ton of books in each is a pattern I want to do so each yr I make a resolution I'll pick a book, do one project and move onto the next book and the next till all those books have been used even if it's only one quilt from each.
Well, each yr that resolution makes it thru Jan and then I move onto other things and it's not books. I just go w/the flow and work on whatever hits me at the moment...which could be a kit, pattern or just coming up w/my own fun idea for a art quilt.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I have a bucket list .. sort of... but it resides in my head. Same for other things I want to do before I die.
This is pretty much me also. But I try to put them on my "soon" to do list when I don't have a great grand baby to make one for. I love the ones I get done, but I don't get to keep many of them.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:52 AM

I have a quilting bucket list. When I get "organized" in the sewing room, I keep a pen and paper beside me and write down the ufo's, fabric collections and patterns that I find tucked here and there. It's great whenever I finish something to go thru that list and see what I want to do next.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:19 AM

I have A LOT of folders on Pinterest where I keep ideas, inspiration and quilts which I guess would be my bucket list. I then print out the quilts that are currently rising to the top of the list. (The list changes frequently) Then I design in EQ8, and print out the final design. I usually end up making multiple designs to get to the final one or two. Then the printed quilt pictures go in a folder in my sewing room, and when it is time to start a new quilt, I pull them out. I next pull out my fabric, and decide which quilt to make next. Pictures from pinterest make up the bucket list. Whatever works, right?
Old 07-01-2018, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I have a bucket, but not a list. Mine is a directory on my computer with saved pictures and files. Sometimes I browse through and select what catches my eye. And if I've saved something and it never catches my eye when I'm reviewing, that is fine.
I'm the same. I have a lot of quilts listed on the computer that still appeal to me even after several years, but sometimes I cull a few that no longer do. Sometimes it takes a special occasion, such as someone having a baby, for me to go into that list and have something wave its little hand and say, "Pick me!" It's just a useful resource for when I need it. I don't really think I'll weep at the end for all the ones I didn't get around to making. Something new often grabs my attention and gets priority over bucket quilts. It's a hobby, and I have my permission to be completely random.