2018 Fabric Moratorium

Old 06-29-2018, 03:13 PM

I finished and delivered a quilt today, so I can back to the one I should have been working on. No fabric needed!! Yay!
Old 06-29-2018, 05:45 PM

I'm with SusieQOH......I went on a bender. All it took was 1 visit to JoAnn Fabrics, doorbuster of 70% off patriotic fabric and my commitment to Quilts of Valor. It also took 2 hours for me to touch each fabric to make sure the ones I selected were "quilt worthy" and not scratchy, thin, etc. On the positive side, I have made 3 more baby quilts without having to purchase anything (batting or backing) and am still utilizing my stash when I can. But, the receipt said I "saved $422.00".........which is a deal I cannot pass up! So, I will just avoid JoAnn's for a little while..........
Old 06-30-2018, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
There is no way I could do this! But kudos to all of you courageous souls!
NZquilter, I agree. Unless this board devises a 12-step program, there is no hope for me. But I have cut down, simply because I am out of space to put any more fabric.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:48 PM

I bought a yard of fabric today, but I'm not hanging my head in shame. I decided on a curled ribbon border for my son's wedding quilt. None of my fabrics were right. I did stop at Hobby Lobby before the LQS. I found a marbled lime Northcutt Stonehenge - it'll do. Same price as the LQS, but a 40% off coupon on my phone was a big help. Hobby Lobby will record the fabric as full price so you can use the larger coupon, which is nice.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:28 PM

I'm definitely hanging my head in shame. More fabric came home yesterday - but it all has a plan, so that's good,right? And who could resist the sale - spend $151 and get $151 off your next purchase! (Happy 151st birthday, Canada!)
Old 07-01-2018, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

I feel like I could quilt off of just my scraps for years and years....
Old 07-01-2018, 08:33 PM
Power Poster

I was hoping this thread would have people showing the quilts they make from their stashes. Do y'all ever do that?
Old 07-01-2018, 09:45 PM

Well, I have wanted to make a quilt for me for years. I have been collecting strawberry fabric. I have finally decided to go for it. I will precut the fabric and take with me on a mini quilt retreat with friends later this month. I did buy fabric for this project but carefully didn't get anything else.

We could post pictures. I haven't finished anything recently since I just started quilting again.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:44 AM

I didn’t spend any $$, but my stash increased yesterday thanks to my daughter. She made a few quilts then lost interest in it. I think it’s due to their middle son & his former wife losing twins before birth. My daughter made two matching baby quilts but ended up giving them to co-workers after the loss of the babies & the end of the marriage. There are some completed blocks & quite a few batik FQs. The fabric filled a plastic bag. She also had an old hand-sewn top made, I think, by my paternal grandmother. I took that along with 2 queen-size batts & a smaller roll of batting. Now to work out where to put them & when to sew. My daughter doesn’t feel joy in this any more so I’ll try to finish some of her starts & give them back to her. That way she can still enjoy the fabric she picked out.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:20 AM

I got through June with no money spent on fabric. Woohoo! Recently I helped a fellow quilter go through some of her mother's extensive stash- think way too much. Fortunately she is retired and motivated to get this task done by September. Several quilting circles have been gifted with 30 gallon bags full of goodies including lots of crafty things too. Donations to local charity include the bins, plastic drawers and the like where all of this stuff was kept. I have only come home with what would fit into a 1 gallon size bag and work in my current projects.