Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New to sewing machines, trying to clean a badged unit >

New to sewing machines, trying to clean a badged unit

New to sewing machines, trying to clean a badged unit

Old 07-01-2018, 03:07 PM

Thank You, I will go over it with oil as well. I am working on oiling up the gears, the tension knob doesnt appear to move anything inside the machine. When I turn the knob nothing happens. When I try to turn the knob for the stitch it doesn't turn, unless I manually move something up top but then it won't stay there it always goes back to 0. I see there are two holes in the knob for the tenion:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]596962[/ATTACH]
One has a screw in it the other does not, am I possibly missing a screw?

Here is a view of the top of the machine:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]596963[/ATTACH]

Am I just clueless on how everything is supposed to work?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	knobs.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	596962   Click image for larger version

Name:	top view.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	596963  
Old 07-01-2018, 04:24 PM

If it is the same manual (28 pages) that I have the oiling instructions are on page 18. You will probably need to zoom in and still will need to (I hesitate to say "guess") as it is hard to see where the arrows are. as WIChix said "Anywhere two plain metal joints, hinges, or rollers move or spin is a safe bet." You might want to turn knobs and the hand crank to notice some of them.

Originally Posted by Gypc84 View Post
Thank You, I will go over it with oil as well. I am working on oiling up the gears, the tension knob doesnt appear to move anything inside the machine. When I turn the knob nothing happens.
The tension knob has a spring inside of the assembly that tightens two discs also on the inside of the assembly. In order to see if the tension knob is working thread the machine from the spool to at least the thread take-up lever. Lower the presser foot and pull on the thread. There should be some tension on the thread. If the knob is on zero it should pull freely. If the knob is on 9 you may not be able to tug any thread through.

When I try to turn the knob for the stitch it doesn't turn, unless I manually move something up top but then it won't stay there it always goes back to 0.
The knob that returns to 0 is the zigzag width. The knob that is on the right of that one is the one that tightens the zigzag width to sew that width continually. I think you removed the zigzag width knob iin the picture.

. I see there are two holes in the knob for the tenion:

One has a screw in it the other does not, am I possibly missing a screw
The picture is of the knob for the stitch length and you push the center portion in to get the machine to sew in reverse. You may be missing the screw, but maybe the hole is for the set screw for the reverse knob and it may not be visible until you loosen the outside knob set screw and rotate it.

In the manual you will have a diagram and list of the name of the parts on page 3 of the pdf (it looks like that page is page 1 of the actual manual).

Bit by Bit.... Good luck.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 07-01-2018, 04:28 PM

Congratulations on getting the foot controller working.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:52 PM

Nice looking machine!! Cool chrome knobs are just the best!
Old 07-01-2018, 06:27 PM

I was looking at your pictures and the manual and noticed that it looks like the feed dog buttons on the bed of the machine is set for FMQ or darning. For regular sewing I think you want the button on the right pushed down. The "Adjustment of Feed Dog" is on page 13 of the pdf,

Also, you will probably need to adjust the pressure regulator. To release the pressure you want to press on the outside. Once the inside pops up you will want to push it down a bit. This information is on page 14 of the pdf.

It also looks like you took the upper tension assembly off. I hope it was on properly to begin with and you took pictures and laid them out in the way you took it apart and off. Many of these are a tad different from one another. Also there should be a check spring which goes on in a specific way to work correctly.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:46 PM

Turn knobs gently, no forcing if you meet resistance. It's not uncommon for machines to suffer from old, gummy oil and "freeze up." Hair dryer, more oil, and gentle, persistent turning. It could take daily or twice daily attention for a week or more.

When you look for movement at the metal joints, most comes from turning of the handwheel.

Last edited by WIChix; 07-01-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I was looking at your pictures and the manual and noticed that it looks like the feed dog buttons on the bed of the machine is set for FMQ or darning. For regular sewing I think you want the button on the right pushed down. The "Adjustment of Feed Dog" is on page 13 of the pdf,

Also, you will probably need to adjust the pressure regulator. To release the pressure you want to press on the outside. Once the inside pops up you will want to push it down a bit. This information is on page 14 of the pdf.

It also looks like you took the upper tension assembly off. I hope it was on properly to begin with and you took pictures and laid them out in the way you took it apart and off. Many of these are a tad different from one another. Also there should be a check spring which goes on in a specific way to work correctly.

We took pictures of everything and video, to make sure everything that was taken off, went back on the same way. The manual I have is 15 pages only. If the center button on the stitch length is reverse, something is incorrect because you can't push on the button it appears solid. We are going to put it back together and then see where we are still having troubles.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:43 PM

Currently the reverse button seems to be stuck and i'm missing a set screw for it. Suggestions on where I could get one and should I just keep oiling the reverse and seeing if it will work little by little?
Old 07-02-2018, 05:24 PM

Currently the reverse button seems to be stuck and i'm missing a set screw for it. Suggestions on where I could get one and should I just keep oiling the reverse and seeing if it will work little by little?
As WIChix reminded "us" -- "Turn knobs gently, no forcing if you meet resistance. It's not uncommon for machines to suffer from old, gummy oil and "freeze up." Hair dryer, more oil, and gentle, persistent turning. It could take daily or twice daily attention for a week or more." (Bold & Italic are my doing) So it may take a while.

I'm not sure about the set screw. Many of the the sewing machine screws are not standard threads. Sometimes I have found screws meant for a different part of the machine to work in other places. Many people don't use reverse, even when their machine has that feature. It has been quite a while since I have had a machine out that has the push button, rather than a lever. That isn't completely true as the one I am playing with now has a push button reverse, but it is separate from the stitch length knob. I also don't remember any of my machines that I have had problems with reverse not working. In addition to WIChix's wise advise, I think if it is oiled well and back together, I would see how it stitches, before worrying about the reverse set screw. Another thread about reverse not working can be found at It's the pest...again

You said your manual is only 15 pages, does it look like there are two pages per page of the pdf? I know some of the manuals are small and it is possible that your version was scanned open to two pages.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:16 AM
Banned

The second hole in that knob is not for another set screw, it's an access hole for something underneath the knob.

Cari