Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions for Visiting Missouri Star Quilt area >

Suggestions for Visiting Missouri Star Quilt area

Suggestions for Visiting Missouri Star Quilt area

Old 07-07-2018, 03:39 AM

Default Suggestions for Visiting Missouri Star Quilt area

I am hoping to be able to visit Missouri Star Quilt shops next month and would like helpful info about the area--where to stay and eat, etc. If you have been there, how is the best way to navigate the shops so as to make the best use of my time? Is it all worth a trip of eight hours? Thanks.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:32 AM

I’ve been there maybe four times. I love the place, it’s expanded and there is so much to see. I would definitely try to find lodging for the night because it’s limited. There is a great state park down the road but it’s not big either. I recommend going there for sure.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:58 AM

My husband is a Kansas City Chiefs fan even though we live in PA.
Last year after I retired, I accompanied him on his one of his trips to games. We made a side trip from KC to Hamilton.
I really enjoyed it. I like the way each shop has it's theme. It's a good idea to go to the "Orientation" building first, which has an know overview of what each building contains. I purchased things I could not find elsewhere. Couldn't buy a ton because we flew down there but I really enjoyed it. It really is amazing to see what they have done in this VERY small town.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Check out the plan your visit to MSQC:
http://visitmsqc.com/
Old 07-07-2018, 10:12 PM

My daughters and I are planning to drive down on my birthday in October. I am soooooooo excited!!
Old 07-08-2018, 02:41 AM

On my bucket list. Look forward to reading responses.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:11 AM

I think I get to go in August. My husband wants to go to the National Model Railroad Convention in KC and has said he would take me to Hamilton if I will go with him. Sounds like a deal.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:24 AM

A friend and I went two years ago, stayed for three days. We stayed in Cameron, about 11 miles away, at the Comfort Inn about a ten minute drive from Hamilton. Nice hotel. The first day we checked out the 13 stores, buying a little. The second day we knew what there was so we bought a lot. The third day we made sure we had what we wanted and if we missed anything. There are a couple of places to eat lunch in Hamilton and there is a great restaurant in Cameron, ask at the desk. We drove from eastern Wisconsin took our time, staying overnight each way as there was only me driving. We did meet
Jenny and got to one of her talks, lots of fun. If I go again, I would do three days, as there is too much to see do and buy. Oh yes, parking on the street was free all day!
Old 07-08-2018, 08:37 AM

I went to MSQC last year after going to the quilt show in Paducah....yes, it was a long drive but well worth it. Definitely start at the orientation shop. We sent all our purchases over there and they shipped it all home for us. I spent enough that the shipping was free. Several hotels in Cameron, very close. I took the time to drive over to Liberty to Angela Walters shop. It was great! She was there and is so very friendly. I would definitely plan on doing that if you have the time.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:23 PM

A friend and I went there last year for the eclipse and had a ball. We stayed in Chilicothee which is just down the road and the Home of Sliced Bread (seriously, look it up!). That town was great and had some wonderful antique store and the people were so friendly. Definitely go to the Orientation building first. You can register there and receive a card that you can use at the different stores so you don't have to continually give your information. Also, the shipping prices from the web also apply: $5.00 to ship under $100.00; free for over $100. You can combine your purchases and they do check your receipts so be sure to keep them. They will box it all up for you and send it to your home. My friend got hers within a week. Mine was delayed here in Houston because of Hurricane Harvey (airports closed, mail delivery disrupted for over a week, then the post office had to work through all the backlog) but it arrived safely. It definitely helped not having to worry about carrying it all home on the plane. Enjoy your visit!

A great side trip is Independence, MO, home of Harry S Truman. A wonderful town full of all kinds of treasures.
Oh, there is also a great quilt store between Hamilton and KC - can't think of the name but there are signs for it along the highway. Definitely go there if you have time.

Last edited by JanieH; 07-08-2018 at 12:26 PM.