Sewing Related Injuries

Old 07-11-2018, 03:13 PM

I had my rotary cutter hanging on the wall. I took down my ruler hit the cutter knocked it off the hook, it fall over the ironing board and hit my foot. Yap ER and 5 stitches later.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:09 PM

[QUOTE=SewingSew;8092235]
Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I sewed thru my finger when making my wedding dress for my first marriage.

I think I might have wondered if this was a bad omen... LOL
It was definitely an omen. The marriage only lasted one year and it really wasn't that good a year. Much better now
Old 07-12-2018, 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=cashs_mom;8092376]
Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post

It was definitely an omen. The marriage only lasted one year and it really wasn't that good a year. Much better now
Patrice, My first marriage was like a really, really bad date that dragged on way too long. I look back on that decision and wonder what I could have been thinking! My only explanation is that I was just a kid with a lot to learn.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:32 AM

A lot of y'all sound accident prone and I must be in good company. Thanks for your stories. I'm feeling better about myself now. Sometimes I get in a hurry and don't pay enough attention and then there are times that I just get "in the zone" and I am at one with my sewing and get careless. I can understand how these things happen, especially with rotary cutters.

I particularly like the wound care advice from the repeat offender. You know who you are...
Old 07-12-2018, 11:18 AM

I did sew through my finger have stuck myself many times with needles and pins. Once I really stabbed myself good with my ripper while pushing hard on a seam that would not give. I knocked my iron off the board and on my foot, lucky it hit my shoe and not my foot.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:38 PM

Y'all jinxed me with this thread. I hadn't cut myself with anything for quite a while until I read about all your boo-boos, so I had 2 knife cuts within 10 minutes last night while fixing dinner... not quilting mishaps, but I still blame this thread! The knife slipped and I received a small cut on my left index finger. After I stopped the blood flow on that one... with the same knife I cut my left thumb... worse than the index finger. This one was pretty deep, bled a lot, but it's ok, except it's bandaged so it gets in the way when I try to do any quilting. You know, thumbs are pretty useful!
Old 07-15-2018, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

I sewed my finger to a quilt, cut the tips off of 2 fingers with a rotary cutter and other sorts like that. the worst was when I dropped the rotary cutter on my toe. it went straight in, a clean clear cut. that bugger went right in. no more rotary cutting for me with out shoes on.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:24 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=SewingSew;8092846]
Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post

Patrice, My first marriage was like a really, really bad date that dragged on way too long. I look back on that decision and wonder what I could have been thinking! My only explanation is that I was just a kid with a lot to learn.
Youth can't always explain the marriage mistakes. I was 38 when my late husband talked me into getting married. That was something I was never going to do, I still don't know how he talked me into it. Dumbest thing I ever did, and I left him 2 years later. The smartest thing I ever did was refuse to give him a divorce. When he died 6 years later my youngest and I got a few years of his disability benefits as survivors, and later when I became disabled I not only get my own disability benefits I receive a portion of his again. So while I'm not exactly living the good life I'm not in the poor house either.

To get back to the topic, while I've had a few close calls with the sewing machine needle and rotary cutter getting a fingernail, the only things that have actually drawn blood are poking myself with pins, stepping on a pin or needle on the floor and snipping a finger with sharp scissors.

Cari