Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!! >

Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Old 12-06-2017, 07:58 AM

Comic book boards. They are acid free so I can wrap my fabric on them and see everything in my stash
Old 12-06-2017, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Moleskin will be in the foot section of any pharmacy. I have found that mole "foam" is thicker and sturdier than moleskin, but our Walmart has only the regular moleskin. I buy the molefoam from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Mo...dp/B0009MI9CA/

I found it was cheaper buying in bulk, so I bought once and now have a lifetime supply. I cut narrow strips with my ruler and rotary cutter and keep the strips handie in a baggie. Easy to cut the strips to length with scissors.

Oh, and my other favorite non-quilting tool is blue painter's tape. I wrap it around my hand a couple of times, sticky side out, and stick it on my sewing table to the right of my machine. Any time I have a thread to dispose of, I just stick it on that tape. When the tape gets full, I throw it away and put down a new one. It's very fast and convenient.

Last edited by Prism99; 12-06-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:04 AM

Prism99 what are you using the moleskin for?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:08 AM

I used a couple laser lights on my quilt frame to make sure the bottom border is straight across the frame.....or near straight. I also have a metal "L" ruler I slip into the slot on my deadbar to make sure my sides are staying true to straight. At times I'll check my blocks too with it. Also use the magnetic tool bars to hold my quilt onto the belly bar when I float my quilts. I have a couple clamps from my workshop I keep on my batting bar for when I go to cut a piece from the bolt. I use a long metal ruler across my cutting table and clamp them with these clamps to hold it straight while I cut across.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kelsie View Post
Prism99 what are you using the moleskin for?
Molefoam is a little thicker than moleskin, but both work. I cut it with my rotary cutter into narrow strips and then use it to create a 1/4” seam guide on the bed of my sewing machine. With moleskin, I usually layer one on top of the other to make the guide a little taller. With molefoam a single layer is enough. Both have adhesive on the back with a peelable paper backing, so they stick well. These are temporary guides so easy to remove and replace with a new one.

edit: do not use on vintage machines such as old Singers, as adhesive can damage the finish on those machines.

Last edited by Prism99; 07-11-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:48 AM

I use a roller intended for seams in wallpaper for quick pressing without an iron
Old 07-11-2018, 09:36 AM

I use nitrile gardening gloves to help push the fabric around when quilting and sometimes just when sewing.

I use tweezers for lots of things, any time I need to grab something smaller than my fingers can handle.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Moleskin will be in the foot section of any pharmacy. I have found that mole "foam" is thicker and sturdier than moleskin, but our Walmart has only the regular moleskin. I buy the molefoam from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Mo...dp/B0009MI9CA/

I found it was cheaper buying in bulk, so I bought once and now have a lifetime supply. I cut narrow strips with my ruler and rotary cutter and keep the strips handie in a baggie. Easy to cut the strips to length with scissors.

Oh, and my other favorite non-quilting tool is blue painter's tape. I wrap it around my hand a couple of times, sticky side out, and stick it on my sewing table to the right of my machine. Any time I have a thread to dispose of, I just stick it on that tape. When the tape gets full, I throw it away and put down a new one. It's very fast and convenient.

What do you use the moleskin for?
Old 07-11-2018, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

Sydneybean, if you just scroll up a few posts in this thread, you will see where I answered your question. I think I described it in even more detail earlier in the thread if you want to go back that far.
Old 07-11-2018, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Sydneybean, if you just scroll up a few posts in this thread, you will see where I answered your question. I think I described it in even more detail earlier in the thread if you want to go back that far.
All the same, .......it was a perfect explanation this time too!

I just might give it a try ... while I have a 1/4" seam foot, it is always just that thread too wide, and adds up over a block so that a block does not turn out to size. Time to go a different route, and maybe this will do it for me.

Originally Posted by notmorecraft View Post
I use a roller intended for seams in wallpaper for quick pressing without an iron
Great Idea!

Keep these alternate use ideas rolling in, folks!