Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
skipped stitches with JUKI TL2200QVP >

skipped stitches with JUKI TL2200QVP

skipped stitches with JUKI TL2200QVP

Old 07-12-2018, 06:25 AM

Default skipped stitches with JUKI TL2200QVP

Morning all. I do my free motion quilting on a sit down Juki TL2200QVP. It has recently started skipping stitches, though when not, the stitches are perfect. This happened early on when I first got the machine and I was told it was a combination of the tension balance (upper and lower) and where the pressor foot sits in relation to the quilt surfact. In doing some research I realized that there is a pressor foot tension knob on top of the machine. Haven't played with this, but will. My question is to those with the same machine, do you think the pressor foot tension plays any role in the missed stitches? In your experience, are skipped stitches a function more of upper or lower thread tension, and is it in being too tight or too loose?
Thanks!
LydiaAlicia
Old 07-12-2018, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I have the same machine but have only been using it a couple of months. The presser foot height is probably causing the problem ... make sure you adjust it properly for the thickness of the sandwich you are quilting.

I haven't had any skipped stitches with mine.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:54 AM

Presser foot height will definitely affect your stitches. For example, if you were using a machine that was equipped with a floating foot (like the Westalee ruler foot for domestic machines) and it was just a little too high above the quilt surface, then the result would be skipped stitches, that's because a foot that is too high will allow the fabric to "flag" or come up with the needle, which then prevents the stitch from forming properly. The same thing can happen with a Hopping foot--- so even if the thread tension at the top and bobbin are correctly balanced, you may need to adjust the presser foot pressure knob to get it at the correct height. Check the height when the presser foot is at its lowest point in the stitch cycle. On a very thin quilt sandwich, you may need to increase the presser foot pressure (which will effectively lower the height of the presser foot slightly). I didn't realize the Juki sit down had that adjustment-- very handy. On my Sweet Sixteen I have to use a wrench to manually screw the foot in higher or lower to adjust it.

Hope that helps,
Rob
Old 07-12-2018, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Another thing that can cause skipped stitches is flexing of the needle. If you move the quilt sandwich too quickly, the needle is caught up in the sandwich and doesn't come down in the correct position to form a stitch. Sometimes a bigger/stronger needle solves the problem, and sometimes moving more slowly is required. I don't do sitdown quilting and don't have your machine, but I suspect adjusting the presser foot pressure can also affect the flexing of the needle. If the quilt sandwich is more compressed, the needle is less likely to be deflected by it. Everything has to work together in a sewing machine.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:29 AM

I've only used my 2200 QVP Mini to FMQ one quilt and had no issue with skipped stitches. I did set it up exactly like the manual said and it stitched beautifully. As I remember the manual had some adjustment for presser foot pressure.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:34 AM

Thanks everybody. Every little bit of information is helpful!
Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

When my machine skips stitches (a different brand) it either needs the bobbin cleaned and oiled or it needs a new needle.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

I was going to say the same as the others.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:09 AM

I think I got it figured out. Needle looked okay, but I changed it anyway. Also noted that the needle was put in just a tad bit rotated, so I straightened it out. Looks like the skipping went away. Yay! Thanks for all the input. Made me walk through the process step by step and now I'm quilting again!
Old 07-17-2018, 12:17 PM

I impulsively purchased this exact machine this morning! I took a look at the new 12” Juki ($$$). and then I asked the sales gal about this machine sitting next to the new one. She got all excited and told me that shE LOVES hers and then started to point out all of the features. The shop owner chimed in with the same feedback. So....I ordered it! I blamed them for being so positive about their experience sewing and FMQIng on it. Lol! Looking fprward to playing with it.