Boom 21 - Dunes

Old 07-15-2018, 10:29 AM

Mona, thank you for my santa block. I love it! I really like DShannons's block also.
Went to church with my brother and sis-in-law and out to lunch after. Now it is my time to relax and start getting some of my blocks done. I'll see how many I can get done today and post pictures tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:36 AM

I've been sewing under the sea today. Finished Stafar's sea creature block. It was inspired by "attic windows" but who can look out their window and see fishes????? Well people on submarines can, so this is submarine portholes block. Now I have to admit I was tempted to go w/ "Yellow submarine" portholes, but figured this was going to be for a child and that reference would have been lost on them, so I went more w/ Jules Verne instead of Beatles

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597898[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0523.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	597898  
Old 07-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Great use of the fabric design. Did you use that under sew method with the circles?
Old 07-15-2018, 10:51 AM

No I've tried that and not liked it as much as the way I do it. I use a freezer paper template of the hole, cut the center out leaving a seam allowance, snip the circle seam allowance every half inch or so around making sure not to cut the last 1/8 inch before the paper template. After it is snipped I press the tabs back using the circle template edges as a guide, remove the template use a little school glue stick to secure the tabs down then place the fabric under the hole position and use a little glue to keep in place, top stitch around the folded edge of the circle. My way has a top stitch but I can sew a very accurate one and can make the choice of blending in or standing ouot depending on the look I want.
Originally Posted by GramE View Post
Great use of the fabric design. Did you use that under sew method with the circles?
Old 07-15-2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I've been sewing under the sea today. Finished Stafar's sea creature block. It was inspired by "attic windows" but who can look out their window and see fishes????? Well people on submarines can, so this is submarine portholes block. Now I have to admit I was tempted to go w/ "Yellow submarine" portholes, but figured this was going to be for a child and that reference would have been lost on them, so I went more w/ Jules Verne instead of Beatles

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597898[/ATTACH]
I love it-made my day!!
Old 07-15-2018, 12:39 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597908[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]597909[/ATTACH]Great block for Stafar Kass! I know I have the Yellow Submarine Beatles fabric in my stash, I'm trying to remember if it's a panel. That might be my project when I am finished with the Boom blocks.

It's hotter than a pistol today so it was a great day to stay indoors and sew. I made two blocks today one for Joanelizbay and one for Bibliostone.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-005S.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	597908   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-008S.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	597909  
Old 07-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

Great submarine portals block, Kass! The Life Aquatic.... Your topstitch is just about invisible, and your circles look perfect.

Cheesehead, your blocks are lovely. I had some of that brown Faded Florals fabric too, but it's all gone now. Those sugar skulls are going to make a really lively quilt!
Old 07-15-2018, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I completed Jayne's poinsettia block today. I was always going to do a variation of this block for your fabric, but wasn't going to have black so prominent but I liked Tgma's block in your fabric so much I copied it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597811[/ATTACH]
I love to lurk on these threads to get new ideas. I LOVE this block. What is it called/where would I get the pattern?
Old 07-15-2018, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RJLinkletter View Post
I love to lurk on these threads to get new ideas. I LOVE this block. What is it called/where would I get the pattern?
If it had been made by anyone else we could probably tell you right where to go to find it. But Kassaundra is our very creative artist and she makes up her own blocks. That one is an original.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:43 PM

RJL, Sewbiz is correct, I made up this block. It's roots are in a 12 blade dresden plate, the rest is made up as I went. The dressie blades are finished on both ends not just the outer end, and pieced. The little corner pieces are made up shapes that I appliqued to the background.