Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is quilting really supposed to be "Quick and Easy"? >

Is quilting really supposed to be "Quick and Easy"?

Is quilting really supposed to be "Quick and Easy"?

Old 07-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

It depends on the quilt I am making. If it is something I know will be mistreated and not cared about, I have a tendency to try and make it as quick and easy as I can. That does not mean sloppy or badly made for sure!
Old 07-15-2018, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

The two quilts I won Viewer's Choice at local quilt shows were quick and easy patterns. One was the Five Minute Block pattern. The more complicated quilts didn't win. I think any pattern can be beautiful depending on the fabric color choices and the way it's quilted.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:12 PM

I think what makes a quilt is not whether it was a long tedious delicate task over time or a sham bam thank you ma’am. I think the end result is what makes it. I’ve been quilting for at least thirty years but did not take it up seriously until I discovered chain piecing and rotary cutting. I love reading quilting books that describe techniques as opposed to specific patterns, and I much prefer creating my own patterns, some of which can be complex and some very simple, but they are all beautiful I am told. They become what they are based on how I use color and design and patter(of fabric).
Old 07-15-2018, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

Again, diffrent strokes for different folks.

I have been working with scraps for donation to kids. Lots of trimming,cutting,sewing,pressing. Nothing fast and easy about them. I love the idea that come winter they will help kids feel warm.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:23 PM
DJ

I agree that quilting doesn't seem to be a quick and/or easy craft. Even using a panel takes a fairly significant chunk of time to complete. Today I made a machine embroidery zip pouch, a machine embroidery ornament, 4 pattern weights and a pin cushion. Now those were quick and relatively easy … unlike a quilt.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:51 PM

I don't seem to do quick & easy either! I've been quilting for 8 years now, have learned lots of various techniques and I piece some, use panels for some, but just can't get into the jelly roll quilts. I like a challenge and I'm very old fashioned, so my quilts are more traditional. Plus I always quilt my own on my home sewing machine. I've gotten pretty good over the years! I'm happy with my slower pace, enjoy the whole process and always look forward to the next project!
Old 07-16-2018, 01:56 AM
Power Poster

For me, the joy is in the doing, not the speed at which I get it done. Everyone has their own criteria for doing their craft.

My question would be, just what is fast, and compared to what? Fast and easy is really just a selling point and maybe causes a bit of frustration for people who grab onto that idea only to have disappointment fall onto their lap when the project isn't fast or easy.

It is an open-ended term with a wide interpretation.

There is a place for all types of quilts from easy to complicated and as long as we truly have an understanding of what we are doing, everything will be fine.

peace
Old 07-16-2018, 02:42 AM

I can see calling a quilt pattern "easy" if it's something straight-forward that someone who has made several quilts would not have to learn anything new for. But quick? None of them are quick as far as I'm concerned. I have no idea how people make a quilt in a day or over a weekend. It takes me longer than that just to sandwich, quilt and bind a lap quilt. I suppose it's relative - this quick quilt will only take me two months instead of six.

It's a bit of a cliché, but if it were easy, it wouldn't be worth doing.

Last edited by Mitty; 07-16-2018 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:51 AM
Power Poster

What an interesting topic!
I don't associate quiltmaking and the words "quick" and "easy" either.
While some patterns are definitely easier to make, I have never made a quilt quickly
That's the biggest reason my sister won't learn how to quilt. She likes things that she can make in 5 minutes.
I agree with Sewbizgirl- marketing tactics!!
Old 07-16-2018, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
Fantastic quilts! Just the kind I love to make! I'm old and I have a huge stash that I'd like to make into as many quilts as I can in the short time I have left. All my quilts now are baby and kid's ones that go to Crisis Pregnancy Centers and Linus Project. I love that your quilts have the organized scrappy look! Beautiful!!
Your pink and black on the right appeals to me a lot. I assume it’s made of 2 blocks (1 plain and 1 stripe) could you share the block dimensions ? I’ve got perfect fabrics and will begin today !