Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone use food delivery service (ie: Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Home Chef) >

Does anyone use food delivery service (ie: Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Home Chef)

Does anyone use food delivery service (ie: Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Home Chef)

Old 07-19-2018, 10:57 AM

My daughter uses Krogers shopping service. Puts her order in on line and picks up her grocerys on her way home from work. Think the service is only 5$ extra. They do not substitute unless you ok it. My grandson and wife use Blue Apron and love it. She teaches and has a little over an hour commute so it saves her alot of time not having to grocery shop
Old 07-20-2018, 05:26 AM

My son and Dil use and love Hello Fresh. I don’t think it would be cost effective for me as a widow who lives just a few blocks away from my other son and his family. I seldom know how many will be here for dinner!
Old 07-20-2018, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Are these meals cost effective? Still have to go to store for other things........

probably good for two.people, but a family? Just thinking......

do do these meals come daily, weekly....are they refrigerated? Left at front door?
The company I chose delivers once a week. You can choose your day. The box is packed so the contents can sit at your front door all day and stay fresh until you refrigerate that night. Only our youngest dd (19) lives at home, and she is a really picky eater. We give her $40 a week for groceries because she works at a grocery store. It is $80.00 for 4 dinners for two people. There was a nice variety to choose from and I don't see repeats in a month of options. I spend $150.00 a week at the grocery store now w/out a meal service.

Janelle
Old 07-20-2018, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by rainbowzebra View Post
My daughter uses Krogers shopping service. Puts her order in on line and picks up her grocerys on her way home from work. Think the service is only 5$ extra. They do not substitute unless you ok it. My grandson and wife use Blue Apron and love it. She teaches and has a little over an hour commute so it saves her alot of time not having to grocery shop
The time savings aspect is the greatest appeal to me. I've used both Walmart and Kroger's pick up, and it is convenient--except when they are out of items you really need or you have to wait an hour and a half because they are behind on picking their orders (its happened at both places to me).
Old 07-20-2018, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Janelle, I am lucky, sort of. At my last physical my doctor had a fit about my weight! My husband is a fabulous cook. So there is a downside lol
Lol! My husband is a great cook too, and he enjoys it. But he only cooks 1 or 2 meals a week. He teases me that if I let him retire (he's only 48) he will cook, clean, and shop for me. If only my salary would support it!

Janelle
Old 07-20-2018, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
My Daughter uses Blue Apron and I have made the meals with her (and ate them too), I am a FAN. The recipes are easy and delicious. Too expensive for me personally to subscribe too, but I would totally be on board if my budget allowed :-)
With both of us working full time and only one child at home, we are fortunate to be able to do this. And we dropped our cable tv service and saved about $90.00 a month which will help offset the greater expense. I'm hoping to build up some recipes (the food comes with detailed recipe cards) and gain some skills so that when we retire, I can shop for the ingredients and then whip up some of these dishes myself.

Janelle
Old 08-15-2018, 08:33 AM

I thought I'd do a quick update as we await box #3 today
Dh and I are loving this service.
The food is delicious!!! My favorite this week was the blue cheese crusted pork chops.
The variety is wonderful. I was in a rut and really tired of making the same old thing.
I fell in love with cauliflower. Seriously the mashed cauliflower with garlic cloves and a sprinkling of parmesean cheese was incredible. I'm still thinking about it. DH was convinced it was mashed potatoes.
I'm learning new skills in preparation--like broccoli can be roasted before adding to cook with the rest of a dish to soften it up a bit.
The refrigerator is staying clean and we are not wasting food.
We are eating much healthier and fresh (not canned, packaged, or frozen) food.
The planning, time, and stress of grocery shopping is lessened dramatically.

The only downside is cost--but I think the pros outweigh this, so far at least
My 21 year old dd hates it because she can't bum food as much when she comes to do her laundry. We've been making food for those nights, though, so she can eat with us (If we know beforehand when it will be).

Janelle
Old 08-15-2018, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Glad it's working out for you. It sounds like a great service for many. I know my son and dil like the one they have. I don't know the name of it but it sounds like what you're talking about. They have such hectic schedules that it works out well.
A bit off topic- I told you my husband is a fantastic cook. Well he is, but he cooks too rich. I've been losing weight by being really careful what I eat, and eating less. I'm pleased!
Old 08-15-2018, 06:35 PM

I think they offer variety which is nice, but the price is a bit steep.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:15 PM

Susie Q, that is awesome that you are losing weight and working to be careful about what you eat; not an easy feat when you have a fantastic cook in the house. Well done!

Janelle