Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you really need to iron 1/4” seams before nesting? >

Do you really need to iron 1/4” seams before nesting?

Do you really need to iron 1/4” seams before nesting?

Old 07-22-2018, 03:25 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Thank you for your advice. I think I will continue to ‘press’ my seams as I go. I don’t feel comfortable not pressing yet. I will try using a small roller to press my seams though.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:48 AM

The problem that I see with the videos is that some people watching them are beginners who take those to be the "right" way to do a project. And, as already stated, some of those doing the videos are selling their product so there's a method to the madness. Yes, press as you go. It makes for more precise piecing and also cuts down on having to do it with a large piece when ready to do the sandwich, saving on a lot of frustration at that point.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:03 AM

I press as I go. It has to be done anyway. Sooner or later. My LA quilter's wife emailed me after I dropped off my last flimsy. Her comment was that they always enjoy quilting for me because the flimsy comes in well pressed, strings cut off the back and they don't have to do any prep before putting it on their machine. I took that as a compliment and wondered what other people turn it.
So it comes to sooner or later...and a good end product. Each person has to decide which way makes them happiest.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I always press, not iron, the seams and it certainly makes a difference in accuracy. It's your quilt --!
I always Iron seams. I give the seam a little tug as the iron comes at it. That way you get a nice sharp edge on the seam with no tiny bit not pressed back correctly. Makes a big difference if you are making Stack 'n' Whack or stars with HSTs.

If seams are going to be pressed open, I first iron the whole seam one way and then iron it the other way. That way you have both seam allowances pressed sharply and can then open them more easily.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
i am not a fan of trying to learn from videos but i realize it's the wave of the future.

one of the many things that drive me batty about them is the fact that people who are famous for being experts rush through the steps and churn out slop we're supposed to perceive as good examples.
i think that's a great dis-service to new quilters. since a great many of these "teachers" are hawking products and hoping to boost sales i think they owe it to the viewers to do it right.

i have seen only one video "teacher" take her time to thoroughly explain each step. most importantly - she stops when she has made a mistake. she explains how the mistake happened, how to fix it, and how to avoid it in the future. i wish i could remember her name.

Well Said!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, some "teaching" videos teach bad habits.
Maybe a bit of a case of monkey-see-monkey-do ...
... and we can follow what they show, all too easily.

In quilting (as in most things in life), it's always important to remember
that there is never just one way to do something,
and to seek out and adapt what is "right" for our own self.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

I have only watched a few of Jenny Doan's videos.

I like some of the ideas that I've seen - I have also cringed at some of the things she does.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

I can get a good-enough "press" using my fingernail to be comfortable with using that unit to join to the next piece.

But it's easier for me to use an iron if I have a big stack of seams to press.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
I am told by the ones whom I in awe of in quilting: you starch heavy and cut precise and press each block. It makes a big difference in the final quilt. If I want precise piecing and in the top, I follow that rule. Otherwise, I try to be precise in cutting, hand pressing, and then pressing each finished 6 inch block. Most patterns give instruction on which way to press each seam. In demonstrating, Jenny and Eleanor Burns are trying to move quickly through the video anyway they can to quickly show the finished project. I have noticed on cooking channels, they do that also. In my profession as a librarian, our consultants would do the same thing, saying, "if this is not comfortable for you to do, do it your way!" and I was silently screaming , "NO!" "Do it the right, the precise, scientific way!" Library Science was a pure science, but others often took short cuts and did their way, not the right way.

If its worth doing, do it right the first time. Or try , try again. That is why I have several rippers handy to my sewing machine, and I use them very often.
Totally agree
Old 07-22-2018, 06:29 AM

I took a Craftsy class by Kay England (famous quilter).. She never presses any of her seams with an iron until the block is done. I tried it and it was VERY hard to break the habit. I will not press on simple things like a 4 patch or similar blocks.

I make mainly charity quilts and I like to do a good job on them. But something off a millimeter is never seen by non quilters.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:23 PM
mac

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
​Make a 4 patch in each method and measure.
I absolutely agree with Tartan. By doing that and measuring the results, you can determine what is true in keeping the blocks the same and what is not. I will skip some steps if I am not that interested in accurate results. Not all corners have to match, or be perfect. After washing a quilt, a lot of 'not-so-perfect' squares look just fine.

It is all up to you and how you want to enjoy quilting and not worrying that the quilt police is watching your every move. If you want to save time and quilt faster, that is up to you. The whole key in enjoying your quilting is that you enjoy what you do.