Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with your finished quilts? >

What do you do with your finished quilts?

What do you do with your finished quilts?

Old 07-27-2018, 02:15 AM

I almost never make a quilt with a particular person in mind! I just make them for me, to try out a new technique, mix different fabrics together, to swap blocks with friends. I let the quilt dictate what size it's going to be. I hang quilts on my front door and switch them out frequently or with the seasons. I give most of what I make away either to family and friends or to charity. I do have an etsy shop and have participated in local craft shops but will never make a living at it. That's OK - it's a fun, creative outlet for this retiree.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:24 AM

I don’t own a quilt of my own yet...I always give them away. Most of the time I have a recipient in mind when I make a quilt. When I’ve done a mystery or QAL, they sometimes go to charity. I am almost done with my Jen Kingwell Gyspsy Wife quilt and I plan to keep this one. : )
Old 07-27-2018, 03:24 AM

I enjoy the challenge of new quilts and when each is finished I decide what to do with it - a slow process as I must have at least 30 stock piled - if any friends have a new baby I have a ready made gift, some given to charity to raise funds, and then given to friends or family who admire my endeavours and appreciate them.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:30 AM

Welcome from Maryland , I quilt for people . But I do have a lot of my own . I hang them down stairs I love to change them on the beds . I just love them all .. I've made them for family also .
Old 07-27-2018, 04:00 AM

I only make small projects. I just do not have the room to work on big items; although I have several cut out for when I get a larger room. I do this for my own enjoyment, pleasure, and sanity.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:09 AM

Most are given away. Some to charity, some to family. I keep a few here for when family is visiting. And, of course, there is one for me, and DH took one and hung it on the wall over his side of his bed.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by LadyAg View Post
Hello everyone!

I am recently retired, but brand new to quilting. As I looked at easy first quilt patterns, I saw that they come in all different shapes and sizes, not just the traditional measurements for a bed!

That rather obvious observation got me thinking about what experienced quilters actually do with their finished quilts, so I thought I would try and get your comments:

Do you usually try to make your quilt for a bed (functional use)? For wall art? For competition? For charity?
You mean they are supposed to be finished? I have more UFOs than finished. Most of my quilting is in conjunction with members of a small group that I sew with. In the past, I sewed with a larger group of quilters that makes a raffle quilt each year. It galls me to be handed something to rip out or try to square up when the previous seamstress stretched it all out of proportion as she sewed or used such a tiny stitch that it is ruffled, then have to listen to that "expert" spout off about mistakes of others.
One day I am hemming flannel baby blankets, the next making baby gowns, the next working on a binding for a quilt sewn by another member. The people we sew for are all appreciative and feel blessed to get what we give. I am slower than a tortoise, but accurate. I have been blessed by the friendships this quilting has brought me. If it makes me happy and the faces of the recepients light up when they hug the quilts to their hearts, I feel my labors have been rewarded.
I have helped out with quilt judging at the county fair, enough to make me decide to not enter my work.

Instead of quilts, my family members are happy with their custom made pillowcases.

If you are trying to decide where to direct your energies, do what makes you happy.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:48 PM

I sew with groups that make quilts for charity, and make the sizes they prefer. Project Linus, Quilts of Valor, a hospital group and my guild. I keep very few in my home, and my kids have filed a "cease and desist" order against any more quilts. For family, I make King size. I make Twin for babies, and never use baby print fabric. I want the kid to be able to use it for years, not just 6 months. There are many opportunities for giving quilts, depending on where you are located. Also anytime there's a disaster folks need bedding. We just lost over 400 single family homes in the big Thomas Fire last Dec. The local guilds went into warp mode to make sure the victims had blankets. We also gave to the fire victims in Northern California last year. I only make functional bed quilts. Never entered competition. You can see some of the quilts I've made in my photo albums. I haven't posted all of them, as I've been quilting for decades.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:41 AM

Thank you to everyone who responded! Your responses were fascinating and in much more depth than I had a right to expect (but enjoyed very much!), and led me to lots more avenues for quilting than I had ever imagined! I think it was one of those "you don't know what you don't know" scenarios. That's one of the many reasons I'm so glad to have found this Quilting Board!

Thanks again! Although now I have even MORE ideas!
Old 07-28-2018, 09:39 AM
mac

Welcome from California!

Since I have been quilting since the mid 70's, I have given most of my quilts away. I never thought to take pictures of them, so I don't really know how many I have made. I have made mostly bed quilts, however, lately I have made charity quilts with my senior center friends, wall-hangings and quilted gifts like pincushions, bowl pot holders, and other quilty-type gifts. I am working on a bed quilt for me from a thread that was started here on the QB, I think it was called zig-zag-zoom. I've sewn a few blocks together and it is a lot of fun, but I am still cutting the blocks for a king-sized quilt. King sized quilts seem to take forever to make. This may be a loooong quilt project, as I am a lot slower than I used to be.