Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bottom line thread? >

Bottom line thread?

Bottom line thread?

Old 07-26-2018, 02:32 PM

Default Bottom line thread?

I have had my sweet sixteen for a few months and I am starting a quilt. Do I use bottom line in the bobbin and does it have to be the same weight as the top..I was going to use Superior bottom line wt 60 in the bobbin and 50 weight in the top. will that be ok..This is the thread that came with the machine and is all i have right now..
Thanks
Old 07-26-2018, 04:13 PM

I would try it on a test quilt before you commit to your good quilt. The quilt can be two whole pieces of material with batting in the middle. Think of it as a possibility for a table cover, or always as a test piece.

My older, hand-guided Nolting doesn't always make a good seam. I know it couldn't be me..... yeah, right. The key for me is to use the same color on the top and in the bobbin. That way, if I move too quick around a corner or anywhere and it pulls the bobbin up a bit, it isn't obvious. I have seen others advise to use the same weight in the top and bobbin but your machine may not care. It's always a case of test it to see if it works. Look forward to seeing your quilt.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

The top and bottom threads don't have to be the same, but it can be easier to get the tension right if they are. Experiment on your machine to see what works for you.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:32 PM

I've never had a problem with it.

The reason why so many people use Bottom Line in the bobbin is because it's so fine, you can get a lot of yardage on one single bobbin. It comes in a ton of colors, so it shouldn't be difficult to match your top thread. However, if it doesn't work for you, don't think twice about switching to a heavier thread; it simply means you'll be loading your bobbins more often.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
I have had my sweet sixteen for a few months and I am starting a quilt. Do I use bottom line in the bobbin and does it have to be the same weight as the top..I was going to use Superior bottom line wt 60 in the bobbin and 50 weight in the top. will that be ok..This is the thread that came with the machine and is all i have right now..
Thanks
You can use different weight threads top and bottom. You might have to tweak the upper tension (and sometimes the bobbin tension as well).

It's harder to use unmatching colors top and bobbin. You don't mention if the colors are the same or different. I avoid using different colors for top and bobbin as it is almost impossible to get the tension exactly right so that you never get dots of the opposite color on either the top or the bottom. I have gotten tension adjusted so that it is perfect for awhile, but inevitably the "dots" pop up when I go faster or slower, or around curves, or just because....
Old 07-26-2018, 09:28 PM

I tried for the longest time to get it working on my machine, I played with the tension top and bobbin and couldn't get it to sew right.. Maybe this machine just dose't like it..

I change to the same weight top and bobbin and it sewed great so I guess I'll stick to that..I may try sometime later as I have a dead line to get this quilt done..Thanks I have a lot to learn about thread and needles for my sweet sixteen..
Old 07-27-2018, 03:40 AM

I try to use the same color top & bottom . But not always the same thread . sometimes bottom line in bobbin and Omni on the top , but try to keep color as close as possible.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

As others have stated, you don't have to have the same thread in both top and bottom. Sometimes I try to match the top thread, other times they are drastically different in color, weight, even type. This is especially true when I use specialty threads like metallic, holographic, monofiliment or super fine thread like Invisifil or silk. For these threads I always turn to Magnaglide Classic prewound bobbins which are different than the magnaglide delights (the delights are loaded with glide thread 40wt, the magnaglide classic doesn't specify but if I were to guess it is a 60 wt poly). No matter what I use, my Innova stitches beautifully as long as I take the time to make the proper tension adjustments.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:32 AM

I use Bottom Line all the time. I have 2 Janome machines (one is an embroidery machine) and a sit-down George quilting machine. Bottom Line Prewounds are my bobbins of choice as I keep several different colors to do the quilting on George & I also use them on my Janomes. They hold a bunch of thread so changing bobbins is less frequent. I also purchase Bottom Line on the cones to use for my top thread. I have never had any problems since I started using Bottom Line about 8 years ago. Enjoy your quilting.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:59 AM

I do not think you should have a problem with 50wt on top and 60wt in bobbin