Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To wash a finished quilt or not >

To wash a finished quilt or not

To wash a finished quilt or not

Old 07-29-2018, 06:52 PM

I always wash the quilts that I quilt myself, because I use glue basting. Ones that I have had long-arm quilted, I did not wash. I do not like the crinkly look myself. In fact, I iron both front and back of my quilts after washing/drying and before gifting. That really helps get rid of the "used" look. Recipients are always pleased to know that they have been washed already, because it eases their minds about caring for the quilt. And I always prewash my fabrics.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I never wash my finished quilts and most of them are for gifts. I don't like the crinkle look so just hope for the best when the recipient washes them and hope for no bleeding. Any advice on what batting to use for the quilt not to crinkle???? I always wash my fabric before starting a new quilt.
poly bat doesn't shrink
Old 07-29-2018, 07:49 PM

I first try to get a photo outside immediately after finishing the quilt. I think the pattern and fabric show up better in pictures before the crinkled look. And of course, being outside, it will get something on it, no matter how careful I am.

Then I wash mine in either Dreft or Arm & Hammer Free. Dry without sheet. Then I check for flaws and snip loose threads. Next I iron it as flat as possible and gift wrap. Usually the party is 10 minutes after I finish wrapping it, LOL. I try to include a little note with the quilt saying it's been washed, the crinkled look is normal, and it's brand new, specially made for them.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by sallie789 View Post
I don’t because I don’t like the wrinkly used look. I want it to go out the door looking crisp and new. There are also so many different soaps out there with so many different allergies that I’d prefer to let the recipient wash it with their preferred detergent. That being said I always give color catchers along with the quilt along with instructions and a guarantee that I’ll fix any problem that might occur. Haven’t had any problems yet.
I have labels with washing instructions. But I like the give a crisp quilt.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:17 AM

I do although I do like the look before washing! Especially for gifting. I also make a lot of rag quilts out of flannel and do wash them! A CO worker brings in her completed, washed, quilts to show before she sends off to recepient and they generally have dog hair on them. Makes me a little nauseous! So I don’t know what I would prefer as a receiver? Washed with dog hair? Or unwashed with dog hair? I think some of it comes from the washer anyway!!
Old 07-30-2018, 07:33 AM

Like many things in quilting, there is no right or wrong answer. I don’t use glue or heavy starch. I don’t have markings that need to be removed, so I seldom wash a finished quilt. If it looks like it needs washing, I wash it. Otherwise, I don’t. Personal preference.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:36 AM

I wash all of mine for all the reasons mentioned by others. The only exception might be a little wall hanging.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:57 AM

Except for small wall hangings, everything gets washed before being given away.
1. Since I don’t prewash fabrics, it removes the sizing
2. Since I do use BestPress, blue markers, Frixion pens, glue basting, etc., it will remove all those
3. I want to be sure the first washing won’t open a seam anywhere—and if it does, I can fix it before it leaves home.
4. Washing, giving “the crinkly look”, covers a multitude of Stitch in the Ditch or FMQ errors.
5. I can assure the recipient, “Yes, it’s washable! It’s actually been washed already for you!” I agree, this seems to set them at ease that they can actually use it.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:21 AM

I wash my finished quilts because of the handling factor as well as if any seams are going to come apart on me, at least I can fix them before it's gifted. Plus it makes it softer. :-)
Old 07-31-2018, 09:09 AM

I don't wash my quilts. I do give written instructions on washing and most are gifted. I have two for my beds and all the other are or will be gifted. Most are queen size and most of the grands already have theirs and am now making another one for my four children. Oh, of course, starting one for an expected 1st great grandchild this Christmas. I do wash the baby ones, young mothers are sometimes are afraid to wash handmade items.