Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Want to buy a new sewing machine >

Want to buy a new sewing machine

Want to buy a new sewing machine

Old 08-08-2018, 06:21 AM

Default Want to buy a new sewing machine

My Berniina is 25 years old and starting to require frequent visits to the "doctor". I'm thinking I will get a new machine and keep her for a backup. I've been looking and like the Baby Lock Soprano or the Janome Skyline S7. Both dealers are local. I wondered if anyone had used either of these machines and any feedback.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I think either one will be great. Most machines are made the same way now.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:56 PM
Power Poster

I would recommend you look at a Juki. All Metal hard working machines.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I would recommend you look at a Juki. All Metal hard working machines.
That would be the semi-industrials 2010Q, 2200QV, etc. The domestic Jukis still have a lot of plastic in them.

Have you seen the new Berninas with the Jumbo bobbin that holds 75% to 80% more thread than the regular Bernina bobbin! They also have the built-in Dual feed -- like the Pfaffs. And the throat is bigger. If you're a Bernina girl, you might want to see those before you go to Babylock.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:48 AM

Have the Skyline 7, love it....don't know how I ever lived without the auto foot lift...9mm stitches are beautiful, you can even design your own decorative stitches. I have a lot of Janome machines, but got spoiled with the auto foot lift on this one....great for piecing and applique.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:42 AM

I looked at this site to see about the machine. Found it is recommended by Nancy Z, I got my Pfaff because she recommended and used one before she went BabyLock. Never an issue with the Pfaff so I got a BabyLock embroidery/sewing machine, no issues with this machine. I only use the Babylock for embroidery and the Pfaff for everyday sewing/quilting.
Can't go wrong with an endorsement by Nancy who knew the best affordable machines.
The Soprano looks like it does everything but cook dinner*Ü*
Let us know when you make your final decision.

https://mosew.com/product/baby-lock-soprano/
Old 08-09-2018, 06:12 AM

Thanks for all the info! I'm looking at a BabyLock for my next machine.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:07 AM

The Juki 2010 may be mostly mechanical, but it is not all mechanical, and the warranty on the electrical is not good. While I love my 2.5 year old Juki, I may not be able to afford having the electrical fixed. The good part is I can run it fine without that, I've just lost the thread cutter, needle up and down and the variable speed.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:36 PM

I have a Babylock AND just bought a Janome 500E embroidery only machine -- love them both!
Old 08-09-2018, 03:44 PM

I too am looking for a machine. I just started quilting less than a year ago and have been working on a Babylock BL9 ($100 machine), and now I'm ready for a REAL machine. I'd really like an 11" throat, but I want a machine I can take to classes/retreats, and I've accepted that big throat machines are too heavy, so I'm thinking 8" throat. I'm really attracted by the Babylock Soprano, which one dealer is offering for $1,200 including a three-year service package. Then I saw a Janome Skyline S7 for $1,800. It's a floor model but has never been sewn on and comes with a new machine warranty. The max stitch width on the BL is 7 mm and on the Janome is 9mm; other than that I'm a little fuzzy on the differences between the two. If anyone has any advice I'd be grateful!