Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which one???? >

Which one????

Which one????

Old 08-12-2018, 02:49 PM

I think the main difference between the two is that the Featherweight has a vertical rotary hook, and the 185J has a horizontal rotary hook. I don't know that that makes any difference at all.

I'd want the one that sews the fastest. I've known a few Featherweights that are pretty slow.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:48 PM

I would buy both of them! I love to hear my FW hum as I sew.❤️
Old 08-12-2018, 04:48 PM

for those wondering, the 185 is basically an updated 99, which is the 3/4 version of the 66. So it has a drop in bobbin instead of a bobbin case.

As others have said, that is a very good price for a FW.

If portability is not a main factor, I'd lean towards the 185. All of the FW I've sewn on are rather slow, and I like having a bit more space under the arm. They are also more prone to jamming and having problems if you get any thread stuck around the bobbin case. And if you need to replace the bobbin case, you may end up spending near what you paid for the machine.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:11 PM

You can sell the feather weight for a profit. I don't know if that's your thing. Buy the one your most comfortable with and you'll be happy
Old 08-12-2018, 09:06 PM

I wouldn't pass up a FW at that price. Can you test it out and see if it bounces at its fastest? I have a FW but honestly haven't used it much. You can resell the FW or have it for easy portability at home or to classes and retreats.

But I'd probaby get the robust 185 for traveling for the reasons Macybaby explained. Besides, it's in excellent shape and has a case. Sounds like you have reservations about the FW. It's a really good price, but you'd have to spend some money getting it road-ready, correct?
Old 08-13-2018, 02:53 AM

I would take the feather weight because..... I can depend on it always working!
Old 08-13-2018, 06:01 AM

Snatch up that FW, ifbyou can swing it buy both. I love my FW!
Old 08-13-2018, 06:33 AM
mac

Here is a website that has information on the 185:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archiv...J/td-p/1818815

I personally like the lightness of my FW, but if you are finding that yours is bouncing around, then go for the heavier machine. It seems to sew in the same category as the FW. Straight stitch machines sew pretty much the same when it comes to non-computer machines.

As another poster said, I would buy both. The FW for $75 is a steal if it sews well.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

The 185 is a very heavy machine. It's about the same size as a FW. It's the one my grands sew on, they can't mess it up or move it. I paid $20 for it in excellent condition at a yard sale. It will probably out last any machine I have. I have a FW too and I use it mostly as a backup machine to take to retreats, classes, and workshops. It's been more then a few times I am so glad I have it with me. I think the 185 is better quality then the FW. I would buy both no question.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:35 AM

I have had that bouncing problem with the FW also. I put a piece of that rubbery shelf liner under it, and it acted like a shock absorber. No more bouncing, no more sliding across the sewing table.
I would be tempted to buy both, sell the FW and keep the 185. If weight is not a factor. I'm pretty sure they both have lots of accessories and parts available to buy if you want/need them later.