Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walking foot and feed dogs questions ... >

walking foot and feed dogs questions ...

walking foot and feed dogs questions ...

Old 02-18-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
Originally Posted by happymomof5
Thank you so much! I'm thinking for this particular project I don't need a walking foot, because i am quilting each square separately and then attaching them together.
The walking foot is especially helpful when making the Raggy quilts when seting the Xs in your square and also when stitchin the blocks together because of have to sew through the four layerseams.
Ah, okay, I understand what you're saying. I have an inexpensive machine so it might be worthwhile to get one then, so I don't have to struggle with it.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:09 AM

I didn't see a definitive answer to the question of do I lower the feed dogs when using a walking foot to quilt. I'm trying to do free motion quilting. When I use my walking foot to do fmq do I drop the feed dogs? Thanks for your help.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

You don’t drop the feed dogs when using the walking foot.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:17 AM

rag quilts normally don't need to be quilted since they are done block by block, I either just do an X down the middle of each block, before its put together or do embroidery in each block. You also don't need to drop your feed dogs. Not on this quilt anyways, if its a traditional rag quilt.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:54 AM

No, do NOT drop the feed dogs when using a walking foot. The purpose of the walking foot is to apply the same pressure/movement motion to the top of the quilt sandwich as the bottom so all layers stay together and move together. Eliminates shifting and puckers.
Old 11-25-2018, 04:38 PM

"My Free motion skills (where you drop the feed dogs or cover the feed dogs in some older machines) is SO BAD that I haven't even made it to the "I SUCK" stage. More practice needed to get there." MADQUILTER I love that. I've felt like that a time or two myself.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by dsch View Post
I didn't see a definitive answer to the question of do I lower the feed dogs when using a walking foot to quilt. I'm trying to do free motion quilting. When I use my walking foot to do fmq do I drop the feed dogs? Thanks for your help.
I would think your ability to FMQ with a walking foot would be pretty limited. Some curves and wavy lines would be doable, but you would have to pivot the quilt rather than change the direction you are moving the quilt, such as side to side or in circles. Do you have a darning foot? The combination of a darning foot and lowered or covered feed dogs is what is recommended the most (I presume) for FMQ.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by dsch View Post
You don't use a walking foot when FMQ'ing. There are a lot of videos online showing the basics of FMQ'ing. A walking foot is used to do other types of quilting and you do not drop the feed dogs.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:41 AM

I have a generic (universal) walking foot that I got from Amazon or eBay several years ago. You may not have to get a brand-specific one for your machine. It's a pain to attach it, so I tend to just leave it on for piecing also with no problems.