Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you work on more than one project at a time? >

Do you work on more than one project at a time?

Do you work on more than one project at a time?

Old 08-18-2018, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

I like to finish everything. I am a low producer and do sometimes work on more than one at a time depending on where I will be. I always quilt at home but I cut and piece at the once a month quilting group or on Fridays at the quilt shop where a bunch of us go to sew together.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:24 PM

I don't want to count all the projects I have ongoing... there are probably over 20 at some point of completion, not including completed tops that need to be quilted! I had a spreadsheet of projects, but it got overwhelming at 50+ items, so I just quit recording them this way. In fairness, the spreadsheet also included projects that I hadn't even bought fabric for, so I guess they don't really count?

I did a big push over the last year to finish projects rather than starting new ones, and it went pretty well. I even got better at FMQ on my home machine, which is great; I had been renting time on a longarm to finish them, but that was getting expensive (the studio is 400km from my home, so I had gas bills, nights in the city, etc. as well as the rental cost).

Your projects sound wonderful! I quilt for fun, so I figure as long as you're enjoying your quilting, it doesn't matter if things are finished or "in progress". If you're happy, that's what counts. It sounds like the disorganization in your sewing room is what's really bothering you. You're on the right track with getting that under control; it's easier to be creative when your environment makes you happy. Good luck!
Old 08-18-2018, 12:36 PM

Right now I have at least 8 projects going. Let's 3 quilts in various stages of sandwiching or being hand tied, a cross stitch project, an embroidery project (Vintage tin), an apron, and 2 blouses.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I always have more than one thing going. I get bored easily.

Cari
Same here, I always have to be doing something. When watching tv I either read or do some type of handy work.
Even when I am playing my video game on my computer, my laptop is usually set to Netflix or I listen to my iPod.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

I always have several going on at once. Some are different techniques, such as EPP, which I like to do watching the ballgame or a movie.
I just finished a large Log Cabin for our bed and I plowed through that one quickly because I was excited to get it done.
I get bored as well, sometimes so I like to mix it up. As Watson said, as long as we're having fun.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:03 PM

I'm working on 4 quilts at the moment, plus about 15 UFOs that I need to work on. Some of the UFOs I'm just letting become cushions instead of full quilts. One UFO was only a few blocks that I gave away to another QB member. That one was easy! All I did was pay postage and voila, it was off the UFO list!

I generally don't let unquilted tops accumulate. Once it becomes a completed top, it gets quilted! Unfortunately it's too hot for me to quilt, as we don't have AC in the house and it's been 90*F + this summer. Makes me want a longarm soooo badly! So now I'm having to let tops sit until it cools off enough for me to even think about wrestling a heavy quilt through a machine. I'm using this quilting downtime to finish some UFO tops. I made a list of them, with the starting year marked too. It is feeling great to finish them, even if that just means becoming a completed top.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:08 PM

Oh my, you really have a bunch to finish!!

I only do baby & tot quilts for Crisis Pregnancy Centers now. I'm old and these quilts are small and easy. I have the entire 2nd floor of my house covered in totally unorganized piles, boxes, bins, etc. of fabric. I have a little bit of room for my sewing machine, ironing board and cutting table.

At present, I have 9 quilts that need only hand finishing the bindings waiting for me and a large box of cut crib sheets to sew. This week I finished another large box of those sheets. About 75 to 80 sheets are now ready to go. And I have one quilt top almost done.

I decided that instead of trying to organize my huge stash, I'll just sew as fast as possible. That way, I can use all my stash by the time I'm 135 years old!!!
Old 08-18-2018, 02:31 PM

I have my king size Labryinth quilt ready to sandwich, but I have a impinged tendon in my shoulder, so I haven't figured out how to press and sandwich it. I have Double Irish Chain for me on machine #2. I have a baby quilt with a deadline that needs to be pushed into line. Most blocks are done (inherited from a SIL). There is a red, black and white one in storage - just blocks, I think. And 100 more in my head and in my two sewing rooms. Just work through them one at a time.

I like to have only two going at once, but you know what they say about the best laid plans of men and mice. I often go astray.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:10 PM

I usually work on one quilt at a time. I’m new enough to quilting that I fear I’ll get confused with too many projects. Now my yarn projects are very different! I think I have 4 knit- a shawl, a hat, & 2 sweaters- & a crochet wrap. I have to admit I’ve been doing more sewing than knitting or crocheting. I taught summer camp most of the summer & I’m so happy the local kids are back in school! My last camp ended yesterday so I’ve been sewing most of today. During the past several weeks I’ve been too worn out to sew much, except on the weekends.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

While trying to use up my Daughter's scraps and mine I managed to make 16 tops. I have them all to where they just need bindings. I have five with bindings, made 6 bindings today and still have more to go. I hope to have them done this week. These are for donation.

When making a regular quilt I totally finish one completely before starting another.