Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ruler quilting >

Ruler quilting

Ruler quilting

Old 08-17-2018, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Monale View Post
I'm almost completely self-taught when it comes to quilting and learned pretty much everything from the internet. Therefore please excuse my ignorance on this!

I just learned in another thread about ruler quilting. I had come across that term before (probably here in this forum), but have never seen a picture, so I always thought "ruler work" means someone is using a ruler to draw a line and then follows that line - most likely with a walking foot.

Now I have just learned that it is actually FMQ, using a special foot and following the ruler with that foot. I also learned that although straight lines may be quilted, it means one doesn't have to turn the quilt around. Intriguing... I have to confess that I have done that kind of quilting before with my walking foot, and all that turning around of the quilt has been a Lot of work! So I think I want to try this.

I did find the foot here: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...d=569879026761
The vendor tells me that for my machine (Juki) I would need the one on the left (EN-01).

Now my question to the experts: Can I just use my plexiglass quilting ruler (about 3mm or ⅛" thick) or do I also need to buy a special ruler for this?
I think this might help. I've played with using some of my Acrylic templates as rulers and I didn't have a special foot at all. Just had to really take my time. You might like Angela Walters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97QPXOPvwjI
Old 08-19-2018, 04:15 PM

Monale, I do ruler work on my domestic machine. Generally, there are 2 thicknesses of rulers: 1/4 inch thick for longarm machines and 1/8 inch for domestic machines. I FMQ with rulers on my Pfaff, Elna and Kenmore home machines. I have rulers with various curves and shapes made particularly for ruler work, I have used my rotary cutting rulers for straight lines, old plastic cutting templates (1/8 inch thick of course), had plexiglass cut to shape, and even used used photo matting board. The thing is that you have to make sure that your ruler foot is low enough so that your ruler will not accidentally slip under it and get hit by your needle. There are lots of Youtube videos available on ruler work with a domestic machine for you to learn with. Just make sure that they are not videos for longarm machines. Have fun and use whatever will work for you before investing $$$'s.